Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 Bburago Jaguar E-type Lightweights conversions

wardsmodelbuilder

Hello all, Here is my thread for my latest commission project. This is going to be converting three Bburago 1/18 Jaguar E-Types to customers specific race versions, each covering the racing life of the car. 

Here is the original car, as raced in the 1960's and restored for the Goodwood festival. 

thumbnail-stuart-adams-fotographik-7-CXW
thumbnail-Scan-5-1.jpg

I have started by dismantling the models ready for removing the original paint. 

IMG-20191026-151716.jpg

There will be some small modifications to be made, as the car raced with and without bumpers and there are a few areas of the diecast bodies that I'm not happy with so they will be reshaped to suit.

I will have further updates in the coming days. 

Thanks
Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

Greetings,

Neat project these will be.  If it helps there's a diecast subpage on this same message board, while many a FB group page option exists even if vintage road racing topics (especially as they relate to diecast-based topics in 1:18th) are scarce everywhere.  For doing the same, it will seem only a half-dozen enthusiasts active across boards are so-committed.  I'll be looking on with interest...

Mike K./Swede70

I'll be watching with interest and encouragement.  I wouldn't take on a project like this because I know how it goes for me.  But I do love to see what you guys do.  And I just can't get into the FB modeling pages like I do this one.  And glad it's in the diescast section.  I check it every day.   others not so much.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the progress made so far on the bodywork of the Jaguars. All paint was removed, to my surprise, maybe I should have expected it being that these are quite a low cost model to start with. But the casts were of very poor quality, with a lot of pit holes. The original paint was so thick that these were not visible but with the paint I'm intending to use I realised a lot of filling sanding was going to be needed. 

IMG-20200223-210958.jpg

IMG-20200205-095103.jpg

I have got to the point where I am happy with this now, and should take primer pretty well. 

I have also sanded off the ugly door handle mounts. 

IMG-20200204-134139.jpg

and filled these, 

IMG-20200204-162809.jpg

The next step is now to get all the body parts primed, so I can show in the next update the parts all painted. 

Thanks
Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I now have some progress to share on the diecast build I am working on. I was finally happy with the filling, sanding and priming of the body parts to apply to main base coat. This is the actual paint the car was raced in and supplied by the customer. 

IMG-20200307-100101.jpg

I have also now started to place the race specific decals. 

IMG-20200308-150756.jpg

The interior, which has been painted in green and the steering wheel which I was asked to give a silver centre and a wooden wheel. The first car of the 3 car collection raced on white walled tyres, which I have also painted. 

IMG-20200224-201937.jpg 

The standard Bburago model does not have a roof, and even though the first white walled version raced without a roof the other two did. So I have made a silicone mould and with a resin mix I have been able to make roofs for the other two. These will definitely need some fiddling to make fit but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!!!!

IMG-20200227-131657.jpg

The body parts will now be cleared and interiors all put back together, I hope to have some photos of the finished models in a week or so. 

Thanks
Chris
http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, hope your all well and staying safe.

Here are the photos of the three finished different versions of the E-type diecasts. Since my last update the models were clear coated, wet sanded and polished. Then put back together in there various specs. The customer also asked if I would make a roll cage for the #7 as when it was raced at Goodwood this was a requirement.

IMG-20200403-114847.jpg
IMG-20200507-103251.jpg
IMG-20200507-103402.jpg
IMG-20200507-103448.jpg
IMG-20200507-103557.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the out come given the limitations of working from a low end diecast base model, and I think they represent the real car well. 

Onto the next one. 

Thanks
Chris