Model Cars Magazine Forum

So I bid and won on Ebay, a Revell 1948 Ford Custom Coupe......

larman

The one with the chopped top. Was there at the end of the auction this morning and got it for $12.50 + shipping. All in it was near $25.  Fine, wanted one to use with the '48 convertible to make a nice late 40's early 50's custom. Paid within 5 minutes of auction closing. Just got an email from the seller saying it was "unfortunately" crushed in a "mishap" and he will refund my money. Hmmm, maybe, but highly unlikely. More like he didn't like that it went for $12.50 and is trying to get out of selling it. Not sure there is much I can do about it, but it seems lousy. I guess I can leave bad feedback, but maybe he is telling the truth?  Never had this happen before. 

Edited by larman

1 minute ago, larman said:

The one with the chopped top. Was there at the end of the auction this morning and got it for $12.50 + shipping. All in it was near $25.  Fine, wanted one to use with the '48 convertible to make a nice late 40's early 50's custom. Paid within 5 minutes of auction closing. Just got an email from the seller saying it was "unfortunately" crushed in a "mishap" and he will refund my money. Hmmm, maybe, but highly unlikely. More like he didn't like that it went for $12.50 and is trying to get out of selling it. Not sure there is much I can do about it but it seems lousy. I guess I can leave bad feedback, but maybe he is telling the truth?  Never had this happen before. 

Hmmmmm. About all you can do is watch for him to re-list it. 

Or you could email back asking for a picture of the damage. Tell him there are certain parts you're interested in and it's very possible the parts you want are still usable and you're still interested in doing the deal. If he won't send you a pic, that's a big clue. 

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Hmmmmm. About all you can do is watch for him to re-list it. 

Or you could email back asking for a picture of the damage. Tell him there are certain parts you're interested in and it's very possible the parts you want are still usable and you're still interested in doing the deal. If he won't send you a pic, that's a big clue. 

Yeah, I will keep an eye out, but even so, he could just say it is another one. I don't think it is a hard kit to get, but the BIN prices are high on ebay, so when I saw this one ending at a weird time and things being slow on there,  I thought I would give it a shot and did get it fair and square. Or so I thought. I thought about asking to see a pic, but I will probably just let that go. 

Ok. so I was irritated this morning when I first posted, but after a short time I was over it. I did reply to the sellers first email and I figured that would be it. 

Here is  the seller's original email:

"Had a misshap and the model got crushed u car other boxes , will contact PayPal and have your money refunded immediately. Sorry for the inconvience." 

So I replied:   

"Uh huh. Or maybe you thought it would go higher than $12.50. Unprofessional either way".......

Admittedly snarky,  but I was done at this point. However, the seller decided not to let it go.

Second Seller's email:               "Wow, rude much"

Now I am irritated, I am about 95% sure this guy is playing games and he is ballsy enough to be surly about.

So I replied: 
                        "Wow shady much? Guess we'll see if that car shows up again in the near future on ebay. I'll be                                                                 watching. Or maybe you could provide a pic of the damaged item and I would be wrong?"

I don't normally digress into this sort of nonsense, especially given the fact that there are bigger things in the world going on, but this guy should have kept his mouth shut.  BTW, no pics supporting his claim as of yet. But if legit proof does show up, I will be the first to apologize here and on Ebay.  Thanks Snake and Fat Brian for your advice!

Edited by larman

I feel bad for you. Unfortunately, there's going to be no winners in this situation. Maybe, just let it go.

If the guys telling the truth, you're not going to get the kit. If the guy is playing games, you still won't get the kit!

I'd say your time is more valuable than worrying about this persons actions. Hopefully another 48 Ford will turn up at a reasonable price.

8 hours ago, beeRS said:

I feel bad for you. Unfortunately, there's going to be no winners in this situation. Maybe, just let it go.

If the guys telling the truth, you're not going to get the kit. If the guy is playing games, you still won't get the kit!

I'd say your time is more valuable than worrying about this persons actions. Hopefully another 48 Ford will turn up at a reasonable price.

I agree and I am done with it. I'll get one ay some point. It was just annoying. If it were me and there had really been a mishap, I would have been apologetic  and tried to do something to make it right. 

Edited by larman

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Did you need the whole kit or where you just looking for he fender pontoons as they call them? 

Will need the whole kit, was going to swap bodys with the convertible kit to make a custom. The convertible comes with what looks like a pretty nice Carson top. I was not planning on using the fender pontoons. Actually had an extra custom coupe kit at one point, but sold it. My best bet will be to get one at a show, whenever we can go to them again. Lol!

I had something similar happen when I won two Sprint car kits for a great price and a day later they said they accidentally shipped it to someone else and refunded my money.  I made a note not to buy from them again since they had a lot of kits and other things for sale.