Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project – Revell 1969 Camaro Pace Car

Exotics_Builder

I decided since I had not done a stock muscle or pony car since just before the move, it was time to pull one out and get some work on it.  I’m postponing any exotic car builds until a little more organized. 

My selection is the Revell 1969 Camaro Pace Car.  Originally, I wanted to do it last year for the 50th anniversary of the only Indianapolis 500 race Mario Andretti ever won.  But, hopping across the country a couple of times to get things organized for the final move thwarted that.

The kit is just one variation of Revell’s 1/25 scale kit that first appeared around 1990 as the Z/28 Coupe.  This version came out in 1996.

1969_Pcar_01.JPG.69ce4d7a4dbaea1f27a394f5a56e676a.JPG

In general, the kit is pretty good, but will need some modifications to be correct as a Z11 option pace car replica.  The biggest issue is that the chassis is incorrect.  It represents the coupe chassis and does not the extra bracing for the convertible.

Below is the kit chassis.  I circled the area where the additional bracing is missing.  A real convertible would have the bracing as indicated in the restoration photo I found:

1969_Pcar_02.jpg.97741ea39a1c13109b4d65b049791bcc.jpg

1969_Pcar_03.jpg.7a52df0d1d18f11b11931f58363fc079.jpg

Also, there would be four vibration dampers at each corner of the car.  Since two would be in the trunk area, that would not be an issue unless you decided to open it up (which I am not for this build).  The front ones may need to be represented, but are essentially cylinders with mounting brackets, so should be easy.

I could not find any detailed spec or straight-on photos to capture specific dimensions of the bracing.  So, I did a little finagling and the kit chassis and came up with (I think) a reasonable approximation and will use to build the plastic piece to add:

1969_Pcar_04.JPG.43ca565d435f0a6ca32f70c58b8f9ad0.JPG

3 minutes ago, espo said:

Great looking chassis crossmember addition. 

So far just a printed template that I crafted using the photo and adjusting for the fact it is not straight on.  I printed it out and fitted to the chassis.  It's pretty close, but needs a little tweaking.  Next step is to adjust it and print to cardstock for final crafting.  I don't yet have a 3D printer so doing it the old fashioned way.  Also not set up to resin cast, so I can't make additional copies with a mold.  I need at least one more for the 67 Camaro pace car, but I have yet to match to the AMT chassis.

4 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

So far just a printed template that I crafted using the photo and adjusting for the fact it is not straight on.  I printed it out and fitted to the chassis.  It's pretty close, but needs a little tweaking.  Next step is to adjust it and print to cardstock for final crafting.  I don't yet have a 3D printer so doing it the old fashioned way.  Also not set up to resin cast, so I can't make additional copies with a mold.  I need at least one more for the 67 Camaro pace car, but I have yet to match to the AMT chassis.

That's a lot of work for a crossmember that most wouldn't even realize existed, but it sure looks good to me. Fantastic work here.  

21 minutes ago, espo said:

That's a lot of work for a crossmember that most wouldn't even realize existed, but it sure looks good to me. Fantastic work here.  

I know.  But my enjoyment is building something as accurate as I can and with a reasonable amount of detail.  There is such a thing as detail overload in 1/25-1/24 scale.  I try to pick out the highlights to not overwhelm.  Sometimes it doesn't go as well as I'd hoped, but it is a hobby

19 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

The kit is just one variation of Revell’s 1/25 scale kit that first appeared around 1990 as the Z/28 Coupe.  This version came out in 1996.

The first release was the Yenko 427, molded in yellow. The second release was the Z/28 with RS option, molded in metallic blue. 

Just helping you in your quest for accuracy. B)

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The first release was the Yenko 427, molded in yellow. The second release was the Z/28 with RS option, molded in metallic blue. 

Just helping you in your quest for accuracy. B)

Okay.  I appreciate that.  I had them reversed.  Just checked and Scalemates does too.  

19 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Okay.  I appreciate that.  I had them reversed.  Just checked and Scalemates does too.  

Then they're wrong. As the late great Elmer Keith would say, "Hell, I Was There!" B)

Speaking of accuracy, you're obviously into it if you're going to the trouble of altering the chassis. Are you planning to do anything about Revell's horrendous representation of the '69 RS front end? 

Revell would have you believe the hidden headlight doors sit 4-6" deep into the grille. They do no such thing. I have an actual '69 RS grille hanging in my garage and those doors are no more than 2" deep. The actual grille portion is darn near flush with the front-end sheetmetal, or not more than 1" recessed. 

Here's a pic of a real one to give you some idea what I'm talking about. Compare this with what the kit gives you to work with. 

P1010075.JPG.c32a430d2f5fc1d60ae5d1b19128f2f2.JPG

I tried to address this with my own latest Revell Camaro build. I made progress, but only got the doors about halfway out to where they need to be.  Rushed to finish the thing for a BOYD build deadline, I never went back and had a second go at it--perhaps I should. I did take some in-progress pics of how I removed the doors from the grille that show what I was trying to do. Be happy to post them here if you wan't but I don't want to hijack your build thread. B)

69CamaroBlueMaxi02.jpg.831924060ba6ac45dacf03e42c2b3cc9.jpg

69CamaroBlueMaxi03.jpg.70f5e3ca74bc0035a3617cf91feaf90e.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Then they're wrong. As the late great Elmer Keith would say, "Hell, I Was There!" B)

Speaking of accuracy, you're obviously into it if you're going to the trouble of altering the chassis. Are you planning to do anything about Revell's horrendous representation of the '69 RS front end? 

Revell would have you believe the hidden headlight doors sit 4-6" deep into the grille. They do no such thing. I have an actual '69 RS grille hanging in my garage and those doors are no more than 2" deep. The actual grille portion is darn near flush with the front-end sheetmetal, or not more than 1" recessed. 

Here's a pic of a real one to give you some idea what I'm talking about. Compare this with what the kit gives you to work with. 

P1010075.JPG.c32a430d2f5fc1d60ae5d1b19128f2f2.JPG

I tried to address this with my own latest Revell Camaro build. I made progress, but only got the doors about halfway out to where they need to be.  Rushed to finish the thing for a BOYD build deadline, I never went back and had a second go at it--perhaps I should. I did take some in-progress pics of how I removed the doors from the grille that show what I was trying to do. Be happy to post them here if you wan't but I don't want to hijack your build thread. B)

69CamaroBlueMaxi02.jpg.831924060ba6ac45dacf03e42c2b3cc9.jpg

69CamaroBlueMaxi03.jpg.70f5e3ca74bc0035a3617cf91feaf90e.jpg

Going to try.  I have the MCG PE set that should help some.  I was wondering if the setup was more for the non-RS which I think was deeper set?  Also going to be doing this to the engine

image.png.7fb99df6184e0936f4c0fdac2bd55265.png

20 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Going to try.  I have the MCG PE set that should help some.  I was wondering if the setup was more for the non-RS which I think was deeper set?  Also going to be doing this to the engine

image.png.7fb99df6184e0936f4c0fdac2bd55265.png

The dreadful Air Injection Reactor Emissions System. This was GM's answer for the outrages California Emissions requirements starting with the 1966 models.      

12 minutes ago, espo said:

The dreadful Air Injection Reactor Emissions System. This was GM's answer for the outrages California Emissions requirements starting with the 1966 models.      

Where I was living at the time, they didn't show up until 1968.  A lot of people removed them, but the 68 Z/28 I bought even had the AIR points on the tuned headers,

This system started for the Calif. production cars and was adopted later to fulfill the emission requirements in other states. I bought a used one owner '69 Camaro around '76 or '77. The car was sold new in Los Vegas NV. and it didn't have the system and California didn't require me to retrofit it. As I understand it almost all cars GM sold with a manual transmission had this system since it was the only way they could get the cars certified for emissions. Many of the automatic transmission cars could pass without the system. The how's and why's of which I just don't know. The high performance GM cars all had this system. I bought several different GM cars starting with a '66 Impala SS 396 and 4 speed with the AIR System on it. As for the Headers you mention. Because so many of the Headers were sold in California as well as other parts of the country they would just manufacture their Headers with the provisions for the AIR and if it wasn't required you would just install the plugs. I'm sure many would do that even if required and this gave them an easy way to remove the system. The state of California suddenly realized this was happening. Their reaction was to have CHP Safety Inspections check points, think DUI Stops, They would just have everyone on the street drive thru for random visual inspection thru out the state. Very big ticket if you had removed the system.  

23 minutes ago, espo said:

This system started for the Calif. production cars and was adopted later to fulfill the emission requirements in other states. I bought a used one owner '69 Camaro around '76 or '77. The car was sold new in Los Vegas NV. and it didn't have the system and California didn't require me to retrofit it. As I understand it almost all cars GM sold with a manual transmission had this system since it was the only way they could get the cars certified for emissions. Many of the automatic transmission cars could pass without the system. The how's and why's of which I just don't know. The high performance GM cars all had this system. I bought several different GM cars starting with a '66 Impala SS 396 and 4 speed with the AIR System on it. As for the Headers you mention. Because so many of the Headers were sold in California as well as other parts of the country they would just manufacture their Headers with the provisions for the AIR and if it wasn't required you would just install the plugs. I'm sure many would do that even if required and this gave them an easy way to remove the system. The state of California suddenly realized this was happening. Their reaction was to have CHP Safety Inspections check points, think DUI Stops, They would just have everyone on the street drive thru for random visual inspection thru out the state. Very big ticket if you had removed the system.  

When I ordered my 68, the headers, manifold, cold air, carbs, cam, valve springs and springs came separately and the dealer installed.  On the headers, they had to drill them and attach the connection to satisfy smog control.   That wasn't as big an issue as the manifold.  The twin 550's had manual chokes and the short ram had blocked heat risers.  With the cold air through the plenum, you could get the gas smell in the passenger compartment at times.

1 minute ago, Exotics_Builder said:

When I ordered my 68, the headers, manifold, cold air, carbs, cam, valve springs and springs came separately and the dealer installed.  On the headers, they had to drill them and attach the connection to satisfy smog control.   That wasn't as big an issue as the manifold.  The twin 550's had manual chokes and the short ram had blocked heat risers.  With the cold air through the plenum, you could get the gas smell in the passenger compartment at times.

When you mentioned headers I was thinking of after market. You bought the real deal early Z-28 and that is the way Chevrolet shipped them. A Z-28 ordered with the 2 - 4's and or headers they were in the trunk and the dealer did the final install. Most of these were ordered for SCCA spec. racing. The early Air Cleaners were ducted to the firewall for fresh air and that area in front of the windshield that also served as the intake for the air for the inside of the car. I'll bet you knew when were getting on it, you wouldn't even have to look at the tach, just smell the cabin air. That may have been one of the reasons for the introduction of the Cowl Hood option in 1969. 

6 minutes ago, espo said:

When you mentioned headers I was thinking of after market. You bought the real deal early Z-28 and that is the way Chevrolet shipped them. A Z-28 ordered with the 2 - 4's and or headers they were in the trunk and the dealer did the final install. Most of these were ordered for SCCA spec. racing. The early Air Cleaners were ducted to the firewall for fresh air and that area in front of the windshield that also served as the intake for the air for the inside of the car. I'll bet you knew when were getting on it, you wouldn't even have to look at the tach, just smell the cabin air. That may have been one of the reasons for the introduction of the Cowl Hood option in 1969. 

I think so.  The only thing it wouldn't go past was gas stations! ?  Six and half MPG in the city and 12 open road if you were easy (4.10 rear and Muncie M22)

PICT0001.JPG

Just now, Exotics_Builder said:

I think so.  The only thing it wouldn't go past was gas stations! ?  Six and half MPG in the city and 12 open road if you were easy (4.10 rear and Muncie M22)

PICT0001.JPG

Those old M22 Rock Crushers were great if you were really using them, other wise they were noisy enough that at times it was hard to hear the radio. Lovely car washing assistant. 

Good call on adding the A.I.R. Pump . 

Life-long California resident here , and am all-too-familiar with the overkill emissions standards . Other than PVC and sealed fuel-delivery systems ( 1970 & later ) , little else made sense .

The dreadful roadside emissions check-ups ended in late 1975  ; I'm sure that many of us recall the blue decal that was affixed to the inside of the driver's side of the windshield  , lower-portion ( I'll see if I can find an image ) .

Loophole : At one time , vehicles (commercial vehicles were exempt) were smogged based upon the year of the engine ! Those 215 V8-powered Vega's , LUV's , etc. , were actually exempt , even when they were new (e.g. , engine swap done by 'shade tree mechanics' , and not by paid-professionals ). 

The A.I.R. Pump , et alia , wasn't exclusive to California models . A former coworker had a friend whom bought a 1967 L-79 Camaro coupe brand new in late 1966 ( graduation present ) . I saw photos of the car --- it had the A.I.R. Pump...  and this was in New York .

Too bad that the new-tool 1967 Camaro and 1969 Nova 396 & 427 engines have an 'incomplete' A.I.R. Pump setup --- pump-only , but no tubes , etc.  I'm certain that Nickey --and Motion-- kind of left the emissions equipment off when they built those 427's.

cal-nos-exemptjpg.image.175x106.jpg.30c14d0e255c5722894b4dccfa6ff58b.jpg

I could only find the EXEMPT sticker pertaining to the ( Jerry Brown special ) 'NOX" ( Nitrates of Oxygen ) system . I used to have an image of the blue-coloured 1975 decal ( it was on a 1966 Caprice that a customer owned ) , but it's since vanished from my files...

22 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The A.I.R. Pump , et alia , wasn't exclusive to California models . A former coworker had a friend whom bought a 1967 L-79 Camaro coupe brand new in late 1966 ( graduation present ) . 

First I've ever heard of L79 in any Camaro. :blink:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

First I've ever heard of L79 in any Camaro. :blink:

Obviously not a Super Sport option --- his was an RS . 

Here's an example https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/25581/1967-chevrolet-camaro-rally-sport 

The photos exhibited the usual L79 features , including the Turbo-Jet 327 air cleaner decal . 

Another former coworker bought a '67 RS brand new in late '66 , and it had the L79 .

Maybe it was cancelled before 01/01/1967 ?

9 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Obviously not a Super Sport option --- his was an RS . 

Here's an example https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/25581/1967-chevrolet-camaro-rally-sport 

The photos exhibited the usual L79 features , including the Turbo-Jet 327 air cleaner decal . 

Another former coworker bought a '67 RS brand new in late '66 , and it had the L79 .

Maybe it was cancelled before 01/01/1967 ?

That's a nice car, but it's not a STOCK car. Description reads: 

327 CID L79 with 350HP Engine

4 Speed Manual Transmission with Hurst Shifter

Marina Blue with White Convertible Top

Rally Sport Appearance Package with DSE Headlight Kit added

Power Front Disc Brakes

Power Steering

Tubular Control Arms with Traction Bars

Aluminum Radiator with Twin Electric Fans

Chrome Valve Covers and Air Cleaner

White Convertible Top Parade Boot Cover

White Vinyl Bucket Seat Interior with Seat Belts

Dakota Digital Gauges and Wood Grain Steering Wheel

AM/FM Stereo with Kenwood Amplifier and Power Antenna

Recently Restored First Year Camaro with RS Option

I notice no mention of "original engine" or "numbers matching" in the description, either, which are always BIG sale points worth thousands. This is a modified car, and I still have yet to hear of an L79 coming in any 1G Camaro from the factory. B)

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

This is a modified car, and I still have yet to hear of an L79 coming in any 1G Camaro from the factory.

Mea Culpa . I suppose that the 275hp 327 listed isn't the L-79 (see link) . 

I recognise that Chevrolet was down-playing the output of the spirited little 327 due to the addition of the then-new 295hp 350 which was a Super Sport exclusive (no mention of any iteration of the 396 in early literature) .

http://oldcarbrochures.org/United States/Chevrolet-Camaro/1967-Chevrolet-Camaro/1967_Chevrolet_Camaro_Brochure/slides/1967_Chevrolet_Camaro-14-15.html

6 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

(no mention of any iteration of the 396 in early literature) .

The 396 wasn't announced until December or January. The Z/28 was announced around the same time. 

The L78 375hp 396 was never mentioned in ANY of the '67-'69 Camaro showroom literature, even though it was available and thousands were built and sold. 

45 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The 396 wasn't announced until December or January. The Z/28 was announced around the same time. 

The L78 375hp 396 was never mentioned in ANY of the '67-'69 Camaro showroom literature, even though it was available and thousands were built and sold. 

I know for a fact the 396 was in the 1969 pace cars.

Back about 1979 , or maybe early 1980 . there was one parked by an old appt bldg in the small town my parents lived ( Walton Ky )

behind that bldg was this white 1969  camaro conv with this god awful ugly orange interior. And on the front fenders it had 396 badges.

Being the gear head that I am ,,,,I just had to pop the hood to ck , . Sure enough  it was in there .

I treid for months to find out who owned it, finally gave up, the car disappeared sometime  a few months later. No idea what happened to it