Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Ford Salt Flat called “Salt Lick”

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Kerry!

I was enjoying a good glass of wine, and looking at old issues of SAE (does life get any better?)... And reading the fine print in a 1998 report about a Wisconsin show, I realized that YOU had built the fantastic side-engined Dodge Charger in bluish primer...   I'm always impressed by your work, and I should have known that your mastery goes back a long time!

So, 23 years later... Bravo for the Charger. I'm finishing a 68 concept Charger, powered by a centrally mounted late-model Hemi, and I was certainly inspired by yours. 

CT 

Yes indeed Claude!! It won best of primer theme that year at the Milwaukee NNL and came back the next year and won best Mopar theme at the NNL.. Car was built on a dare from a fellow modeler and was taken from a centerfold of Scale Auto from and illustration done by Juha Airo… The Ol' Gal is still in my display at home and just as purty as it was back then!!

Thanks for the kudos on it, can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves with yours!!!

with more of my stuff scattered around it!! 

4D8DCDC6-7B0B-4B9C-9EF6-331773E45FD8.jpeg.7a2de325933346619c27e15c2b320480.jpeg

4165943B-C11B-4ABB-BE88-45D2BAFE6887.jpeg.63124fcd9144f85c2ec2a6d741678596.jpeg

AB2A419C-7544-4839-B679-13B467692A30.jpeg.1ef84bccdc9ef0c2882e5da68c918ae7.jpeg

Edited by DrKerry

On 12/28/2020 at 9:04 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Kerry!

Nice to see it fully painted and "opened". Very impressive. 

Now, I have to ask: what is the dark car at the rear of the Charger, on the driver's side? Is-it a Galaxie or a big Pontiac? Just curious. The rear end section has me puzzled...

CT 

Dark purple car is a 66 Fairlane Kustom I built from a drawing a friend of mine did years ago. Has a rolled hood and a Ferrari Testarossa rear tail section on it.. I can get some pics if you’d like??

6 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Dark purple car is a 66 Fairlane Kustom I built from a drawing a friend of mine did years ago. Has a rolled hood and a Ferrari Testarossa rear tail section on it.. I can get some pics if you’d like??

Hi Kerry!

Sweet! Please do, an original scratchbuild design always interest me...

CT

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Kerry!

Sweet! Please do, an original scratchbuild design always interest me...

CT

Will do! I’ll get it out of the case today and shoot some pics..

11 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

you've been busy wow !   the little salt racer is looking good ! 

paint it yet ?? lol

have a happy new year 

No paint yet Jeff. Need another base coat of white primer 

14 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Kerry!

Nice concept. The squarish rear end got me to think it was a 65 Pontiac, and now I see that it was the Testarossa tail that fooled me.

I suppose the round headlights were an alternate custom option in the kit, or did-you mash-up something else? 

CT

Front headlights are actually the stock headlights, I just cut the upper grille section out of it and rolled the hood down into it..

It's showing its age now, I built that around 20 years ago and has putty shrinkage showing in the paint..

1 hour ago, DrKerry said:

Front headlights are actually the stock headlights, I just cut the upper grille section out of it and rolled the hood down into it..

It's showing its age now, I built that around 20 years ago and has putty shrinkage showing in the paint..

Hi Kerry!

Thank you for the details.

I must admit that for me to, at 65+, some "putty shrinkage" is showing trough the previously smooth finish...

CT 

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Kerry!

What became of your project? Hope all is well and you are progressing. There will never be too many salt cars, you know...

CT 

It got tossed in the box for now. Broke the door hinges on the drivers door and got frustrated with it. It’ll come back out sometime, just not sure when.. lol 

19 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Oh, I see... Hope the itch to finish it comes back sooner than later! Keep safe!

CT 

I’m hoping so too!! Been working on my Milner rail and about have it done so maybe the Salt Lick will be back out. If nothing else just to finish it..

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 7:41 PM, Paul Payne said:

Any updates? Found this build really interesting.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, gotnitro? said:

Yeah we definitely need more updates  !!!

Sorry gents, it's in a box in storage.. After the door hinges kept breaking off I put it in the box for another day... lol

Who knows, if I come across the box I could pull it back out again!!

Edited by DrKerry