Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1962 Ford Galaxie Convertible Annual

RDean58

Again, fun to look at the above Mr. Voyles. Your right about the box being boring. As you know, that really would not change until the 64's. Looking at the contents of this kit in general I find it's a little boring. The custom parts seem to offer little to no interest to me. I was not surprised to see that the kit represented the "regular" Galaxie 500 Sunliner convertible with the bench seat. Rather than the midyear Galaxie 500 XL with the bucket seats. Despite it not being an XL, I'd love to have one in my collection. 

I've never been crazy about the looks of the '62 Ford hard tops, but I found that I really like the silhouette of the convertible, especially with the top up.

The black Sunliner that I built a few years ago is still one of my absolute favorites in my collection.

If I had it to do over again, I would re-do the interior and swap in an AMT '60 Starliner chassis.

image.jpeg.c64002f1aaa834de81940e5da629d57b.jpeg

Steve

1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

Wow that looks great! Where did you get the skirts?

The skirts were cut down, reshaped custom skirts from a Johan 1961 Chrysler New Yorker.

I had to add the skirts because I had a friend who's dad had a '62 XL that had the stainless skirts.

I thought that they added a nice, not so often seen touch.

They're just taped to the inside of the fender in case I decided to remove them at some point. 

1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

And now did you do the center caps of the hubcaps so well?

Nothing more than acrylic craft paint brushed in as carefully as possible and then removed from any place that it didn't belong with a tooth pick after it was partially dried.

Steve

That is a gorgeous ragtop that Steve built. Looks just like the real thing.  The '62 Fords are probably ho-hum for many people.  But my family had a '62 Galaxie 500 4-door sedan, Wimbledon White with red interior/trim.  My best friend's family had the same car in a tan color.  So I spent much of my kidhood in those cars and have a lot of affectionate nostalgia for them.

This is a great kit, especially the razor-sharp body emblems.  But the accessories seem a little boring. The standard AMT tape recorder, record player and stuffed animal.  Plus an exciting...rear seat armrest?  Puh-leeze.  We demand bongo drums!

Edited by Mike999
goof

Appreciate the review Robert. And Beautiful build Steve.

In 1975 my parents inherited my great uncle's 1962 Galaxie 500 4dr sedan, oxford blue with blue interior. It was 13yrs old with 13k miles on it. In 1978 it became my first car. Have a few restorable promos and a couple of the cvt kits -  it's time to actually do something with them after seeing that black beauty! 

Steve's Black Convertible was the WINNIPEG MODEL CAR CLUB's Most Road Worthy award a few years ago at the NNL North in Minneapolis/Bloomington Mn..Six of us from our club looked at about 500 models and between us the unanamous choice was the Black 62 Ford..Excellent build that stood out from all the rest..Very clean and well done..That is what it takes..