Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOW TO check that all wheels touch before cementing axles?

Hi all:

Hoping for some help with this.  I'm working on a AMT 4300 kit and I'm struggling to find a way to check that all the wheels are going to sit on the ground before cementing the axles in place.  If there needs to be any shimming to level the axles, obviously I want to do that before cementing the axles in place.  The problem I'm having is coming up with a way to temporarily hold the axles in place without gluing them to check the fit.  Unfortunately, this kit is such that I can't just rest the frame and suspension on top of the axles -- see pics.

I've tried some clamps, etc. -- but haven't come up with a good way with the several parts that have to be in place at once (axles, torque rods).

Thanks for any help!

rear.jpg

I usually wing it. I just eyeball everything, I try to get everything so it positively locates, I.E. all seams and flash gone , and hope to heck I get all tires on the ground . So far it has worked for me. Sorry not much help..

Hey -- thanks for the reply.

I came up with a simple check.  I just layed frame level on some Lego bricks and then layed the axles in place, checking them with the torque rods.  The forward axle is good.  The rear axle is level, but isn't at the same height as the forward one due to my doubt about the kit molding where the rear axle sits in the suspension.  The "ears" were too tall (I thought) and so the center part of the axle wouldn't sit all the way down in the pocket.  Well, turns out that was intended to make the axle sit at the same ride height as the forward one.  Oh well.  No biggie.  I'm just going to glue some strip styrene shims on the axle blocks and set it to the correct ride height that way.   I should have remembered the old saying "measure twice, cut once"  !

Thanks again.

On 4/12/2020 at 2:41 PM, tbill said:

I usually wing it. I just eyeball everything, I try to get everything so it positively locates, I.E. all seams and flash gone , and hope to heck I get all tires on the ground . So far it has worked for me. Sorry not much help..

Same here. I clean up all the parts and just put them together the way they intended. Haven't had any problems