Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Mercury Cougar XR-7

echoxrayniner

Really wanted to do this kit proper once, having built it as bare box stock as I could've three years ago. The engine bay's still quite a mess and unfinished, ran out of wiring materials and whatnot midway through making the A/C unit and the supplies aren't slated to be here for another 8 weeks so... Thought it would be nice to have on the shelf in the meantime. Still gotta patch up the engine bay's paint issues, glue stains and all that in the future with the A/C system. Love, love these Revell kits from way back then, got a Thunderbird SC lined up to join it. Kit had some really, really bad warp though, the roof was crushed and the chassis and fenders were bent pretty badly, though the plastic quality has gone rock solid so any bending or even heating up seems to make it brittle and causes it to snap off straight away, so I left it as it was.

1990cougarxr7_red-1.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-2.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-3.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-7.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-8.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-12.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-14.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-16.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-20.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-21.jpg

1990cougarxr7_red-25.jpg

Nice to see someone build and post pics of one of these.  The 1:1 Cougars of this era weren't my favorites but I happened to find one of these kits on sale and, as someone who likes doing the occasional replica stock build, I was impressed by what Revell had done with it.

Couldn't help but notice the license plates.  Are you from the Lincoln NE area, or were these part of the decal package in the kit? 

14 hours ago, Monty said:

Nice to see someone build and post pics of one of these.  The 1:1 Cougars of this era weren't my favorites but I happened to find one of these kits on sale and, as someone who likes doing the occasional replica stock build, I was impressed by what Revell had done with it.

Couldn't help but notice the license plates.  Are you from the Lincoln NE area, or were these part of the decal package in the kit? 

Actually I'm all the way over in the Netherlands! I just have a fascination for the US license plates and trying to make 'em at least accurate and make decal sets as a little side operation. Though the Nebraska pick was kind of only 'cuz the '87-'90 sunset plate having a neat combo of colors with the car itself, the Lancaster county tag was purely coincidental. Though I do have distant family just outside of Lincoln in Waverly, maybe it was subconscious haha