Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa BMW 2002 tii

beeRS

It's been far too long with this one. To be honest, this little BMW has been fighting me, but now it's time to just get it done now.

Hasegawa have done a wonderful job with this kit. The chrome side stripes and lower strips are all separate pieces and quite fiddly. They took a long time to fit and place correctly. These were all stuck in place with white glue. I glued each piece and then set aside for several hours or overnight. It took me more than a week to fit them all. The side window trims have been foiled with BMW. My gosh this stuff was horrible to use this time! I've used it successfully in the past, but this time the 'self adhesive' was rubbish. I had to apply BMF adhesive and it still wouldn't lay as flat as I would like. Maybe I'm just a bit rusty.

PC070023.jpg

The side glass was cut from acetate sheet and glued in, in the half-open position.

PC070026.jpg

With the body/chassis fitted together you can see the gaps on either side where the floor meets the sills (rocker panels). This was glued and clamped tight with a vice.

PC080027.jpg

PC080028.jpg

The door handles in this kit are really nice pieces. I've drilled holes and added a small piece of brass rod to peg them in place. I do not want these falling off after display.

PC170029.jpg

Again, more things to like about this kit. Hasegawa made each part of the rear light cluster a separate piece. Its a bit fiddly, but it does mean they can be individually painted with the correct transparent paint and glued to the chrome housing.

PC180084.jpg

I'm going with the kit number plates here.

PC200001.jpg

That's all for now. Very nearly done. As always your comments are welcome.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, Bainford said:

Coming along nicely, good to see it back on the bench. Sounds like you have some of the junk BMF from a couple years ago. The problem with the adhesive has been resolved, so new stuff will work much better.

Thanks. I heard there was a bad batch of BMF, so I bought a new sheet about a year ago and it was the same!  I guess you never know how old the shop stock is. 

On 6/20/2023 at 11:15 PM, JollySipper said:

This looks really good! I have one of these in progress and kept thinking during the build, if it had an engine it would be on the same level as an enthusiast kit.....

Indeed - the details of the trim are reminiscent of the Fujimi Enthusiasts series. Imagine if Hasegawa included an engine with such detail!  I am sure I’ve seen a resin conversion kit that includes an engine. If I were to build another of these in the future I’d like to include an engine. 

20 hours ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Super clean job on this,  should look stunning when it's complete and give you some enthusiasm to get back to your usual mega detailing ! !

Thanks for the encouragement Martin.  

41 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Great to see you back on this one Sonny, it doesn't deserve to sit unfinished in a box and I'm sure you'll do it justice. Certainly looks to be coming together nicely after your recent efforts.

Thanks. I have a few kits half built, and it’s always a shame when I open the box and wonder why I haven’t finished them. 

• 1 month later...

Thers nothing much to show in the final few stages of this build, so I cracked on and it's finally done. I’ve put it under glass Here

Overall a great kit, but I did have my challenges. The final trim fit up was not much fun, but not so bad that it put me off buying the Turbo version for a future build...

2002-Turbo.jpg

Edited by beeRS
  • Like 2