Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Folks, There's a Real Race Today

No practice is the way to go, since it shows what the driver can do with a car that is not perfectly set up. The only thing multiple practices accomplish is to let a deep pockets team crew chief fine tune their car to beat the field (isn't that right, Chad...)  ?

5 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I haven't watched a NASCAR race in a couple of years but I need to see some racing. Should be an interesting race with no practice,  no qualifying and a green track. Turn 1, lap 1 will be wild.

Kinda strange with no fans in the bleachers isn't it.

what is that pace car? 

4 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Kinda strange with no fans in the bleachers isn't it.

what is that pace car? 

It’s a Camaro,  but I had to take a second look to see the model, looks like an RS.

Agree on the stands. I wonder how long it will take for some caller on the SiriusXM NASCAR channel to claim “The stands are empty, NASCAR is doing a terrible job, blah, blah, blah...”

5 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

It’s a Camaro,  but I had to take a second look to see the model, looks like an RS.

Agree on the stands. I wonder how long it will take for some caller on the SiriusXM NASCAR channel to claim “The stands are empty, NASCAR is doing a terrible job, blah, blah, blah...”

Ha, thought it might be a hellcat, couldn't be more wrong.

Nice to see some sort of live racing these days, leave it to NASCAR to lead the way.

Being an F1 fan, am going crazy with all the news out of a sport that might not even

have a season this year. 

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Ha, thought it might be a hellcat, couldn't be more wrong.

Nice to see some sort of live racing these days, leave it to NASCAR to lead the way.

Being an F1 fan, am going crazy with all the news out of a sport that might not even

have a season this year. 

I'm afraid of that for F1 Kurt also since they are a worldwide series and it would be heartbreaking for my favorite racing not to run this year, as I was anxiously awaiting the series start in Australia that never happened. 

As for today's NASCAR race, it was on for noise, but with the fact that the series doesn't even have a title sponsor for the season even before the virus craziness broke out, I think they drew the short straw being the guinea pig on the "no fans-tv only" experiment. It's not like it's much of a change from the dwindling numbers of fans paying to get into a race in the first place, many races I've skipped to the end of the race in the DVR to see who wins after watching F1 flag to flag I see plenty of empty seats at a normal race.   

Well, I watched and it was OK. I've sadly given up on F1. The race is typically decided in qualifying.

IndyCar is what I follow and they're supposed to return next month. Memorial day weekend won't be the same without the 500 though.

11 hours ago, highway said:

As for today's NASCAR race, it was on for noise, but with the fact that the series doesn't even have a title sponsor for the season even before the virus craziness broke out, 

NASCAR has gone away from having a single title sponsor, since it is getting harder to find that one corporation that will give over that much money for series entitlement. There are now a number of companies who support the series (listed in that big black panel on the ‘door’, and is now know as The Cup Series, instead of the Winston/Nextel/Sprint/Monster Energy that it’s had since 1972. 

It was a decent race.

I felt so bad for Jimmie Johnson - he was fast. 

It was a bit eery with no fans, no pit reporters, etc, but I think Fox did a great job with what they had to work with. It will be interesting to see if getting out ahead of the other sports will be beneficial to Nascar. It's no secret that they've been in a decline for the last decade or so.

...And Harvick won and Kyle didn't, so that was good. :)

12 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

NASCAR has gone away from having a single title sponsor, since it is getting harder to find that one corporation that will give over that much money for series entitlement. There are now a number of companies who support the series (listed in that big black panel on the ‘door’, and is now know as The Cup Series, instead of the Winston/Nextel/Sprint/Monster Energy that it’s had since 1972. 

Monster wanted to extend their title sponsor rights agreement for the Cup Series, but NASCAR rejected it and moved forward with their "tier" level sponsorship program, I guess they felt they could get more money that way.