Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pontiac

doorsovdoon

On 7/5/2020 at 7:22 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I wish I understood the language too, my dad's first language is Welsh but he never taught it to us. My grandfather was Irish and moved to England during the War where he got married, they eventually moved to Wales where he worked at Pembrey airfield. So there's a bit of everything in me, but only one language! xD

A man of the world! I like it...

Great build BTW, and the body paint looks awesome!

The Tri-Power ( three 2 barrel carburetors ) option disappeared after '66 , making that Pontiac in the Bonneville a phantom . The only vehicles in the States to have multiple-carburetors after 1966 were the Corvette (through 1969 model year) , the 440 Maximum Performance Chrysler (1969-1972 ) , the 340 "T/A" ( Trans Am ) for the 1970 Challenger T/A and the AAR 'Cuda ,   the 426 Hemi (1964-1971) , and the Ford and Mercury 428 (1967-1968) .

There we go, she's done! Paint turned out great and the kit was super easy to build. Will definitely be getting another. One issue I had is the interior tub would not sit in the body right no matter what I tried. You can see the gap along the dashboard and the along the top of the doors. It's pushing down the floor pan which makes the front sit a bit high. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable kit to build.

20200707_135508.JPG

Wow! That looks really nice! Great first model on the board!

17E33236-FF60-4E4A-A931-F7FF2D43970A.jpeg.d5182e654ffe1c84343339986459ceb9.jpeg

Your Pontiac is the last in the line of annual kits, that’s why the tooling has somehow survived. Here’s the three prior years, only sold during their year of manufacture, then the tooling was updated for the next year.

1967 is red. 1968 is green and the 1969 is white. I didn’t build them, I got them this way for my collection.

Thanks. Those are nice. Wouldn't mind building those years to add to the collection. I'll definitely be getting another 1970 because I saw an ambulance version on Google images which I would really like to try building. This kit has a lot of the work already done with the pick-up parts. I just need to scratch build the body!

Pontiac Ambulance.jpg

12 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks. Those are nice. Wouldn't mind building those years to add to the collection. I'll definitely be getting another 1970 because I saw an ambulance version on Google images which I would really like to try building. This kit has a lot of the work already done with the pick-up parts. I just need to scratch build the body!

Pontiac Ambulance.jpg

You might consider a Goat Busters Cadillac kit and graft the Pontiac nose onto it. Your convertible looks great and I also like the color combination you used. The interior issue may be caused by the lower edge of the windshield not letting it seat properly. I have run into this issue on different kits.   

Thanks. I could maybe use part of the roof from that kit, though it looks very different from the Ghostbusters ambulance. The side glass and frames are very flat so wouldn't be too difficult to make.

Edited by doorsovdoon

10 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I love that ambulance! The good part is that it isn’t stretched. Easier to build! 

The roof is raised a bit but side glass isn’t so you can gauge the height right there

Yes, and the kit comes with a tub and a score line to cut the body. From pictures I've looked at, the rear door looks not too unlike the Ecto 1 kit. If that's so, the only hard part would be building the roof.