Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rodding trends - Lack of Model Ts?

3 hours ago, espo said:

I remember "Sidewalk Surfin"  but not this one. I do recall those narrow ties though, the only thing skinnier than that was our belts, and of course we were somewhat slimmer ourselves also. 

"Bucket T" was a favorite song of The Who.  They often played it in concert, with drummer Keith Moon doing the vocals.  Moon even bought his own real, 1:1 scale Bucket T.  And believe it or not, in 1967 The Who's version of "Bucket T" went to #1 on the record charts.  In Sweden. 

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice car. Mostly function, exceptionally clean, great fab work. HP seems about right to me too...way too much is just enough.  :D

I felt right at home looking at it, as I said ticked all my boxes at least in a T. I watched another vid of a T with 400hp and it had plenty of snap to get me in trouble lol. But hp is subjective in terms of desire. The nice thing about this T is he seems to have gotten that power to hook up with the pavement. T's only weigh in the teens, the one I posted is 1700lb. To my eye it's just proportioned great, nice car.

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Agree....but like he said the vast majority was DONATED.......I need his friends!!! (rich ones)

Yeah, but remember...most of the parts had been pulled out of race-cars. They've been depreciated to the max and are essentially scrap metal for business purposes.

Why not give 'em to somebody who can do something with them, instead of getting pennies from the recycler who'll only ship 'em to China anyway?

19 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, but remember...most of the parts had been pulled out of race-cars. They've been depreciated to the max and are essentially scrap metal for business purposes.

Why not give 'em to somebody who can do something with them, instead of getting pennies from the recycler who'll only ship 'em to China anyway?

I have no issue with it........When I lived in Charlotte and knew many NASCAR shop guys (I had a NASCAR license company) used parts were often free or really cheap......BUT it was a risk.....they had often been used by a top level team....then a entry level team....then were free. Many parts were still good....but carried a risk. This guy being a engine builder could sort the good from bad easier than most of us.....and could rebuild if a issue came up. 

When NASCAR goes to the next Gen car I am going to try and pick up a few FORD 9" rear axle assemblies as they will not be in the next Gen car.....and there are HUNDREDS in use today! 

On 8/10/2020 at 1:09 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's kinda unlikely anyone today would build a real T rod on a T frame, 'cause any serious horsepressure would pretzel one.

So a dedicated T rod kit's just kinda unnecessary. There are plenty of T-bucket bodies floating around.

Build a T-bucket on one of the Revell or AMT model-A frames, or shortened '32 rails for something approaching reality.

What I'd REALLY like to see though, one of the all-time classic rod combinations never kitted, is the '26-'27 T body adapted to the recent Revell model A roadster kit.

I think the people who'd actually want a stock T frame are the ones want to build either a pre-war "gow job" or the crazies who insist on building stock.  The good news is, because T's are so tiny,  a kit with both a complete stock chassis and a complete hot rod chassis would probably take up about the same mould space and use the about the same amount of plastic as a more modern car model.   You'd probably have to include the extra parts anyway just to fill up the box.  Basically, what you'd have is an updated version of AMT's Double T kit, but it wouldn't be the first time Revell has done a better version of an AMT classic.

Of course, Revell already has a bunch of pretty decent T-bucket kits they could release,  but a '26-27 T with both stock and rod chassis options, that would be something new.