Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970's dirt modified - the day before race day

I started this AMT Mustang modified over 15 years ago - dug it out and finished it this year.  Engine is the AMT 1967 Chevelle, with the fuel injection system from one of the old Monogram sprint cars and modified kit headers. Rear tires are Plastic Performance Products dirt tires, fronts are from the parts box.  Rear wheels are from the kit with hubs from a Revell ASA kit.  The front right wheel is a Plastic Performance Products Wide 5, front left is an old Fred's Resin Workshop item.  Rear nerf is from an MPC pavement modified kit.  Paint is Testor's Model Master Chevy Nassau Blue.

It's a little too clean for an active race car, but they all start out straight and clean...

1672115515_smallhoodless.jpg.0b5fdac56ec8adcd4ec528781d2adbda.jpg1470020019_webrear.jpg.ad4d495add871ec54d6ed78b09e76241.jpg301646832_webhoodlessside.jpg.79a2532b4b67133433040fe00183d639.jpg

1681862981_webfront.jpg.a5d3cb776b78d43568dfa4fee4b1efcb.jpg140694258_webrightside.jpg.711474536deb15b4c6f1de4356a60539.jpg

Steve, the left front tyre really is an accessory on many classes of dirt track racing. Most ( not all) dirt tracks run anti clockwise so the left front tyre spends much of its time in the air as they try to get as much weight transfer as possible to the right rear.  Three really is no point carrying a large heavy wheel when it contributes so little to the actual steering performance.

Nice modified Karl, I really like the combination of parts you ave used here - and yes, they are all clean and straight once - I have used the same excuse to justify some of my clean racecars LOL!

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

Steve, the left front tyre really is an accessory on many classes of dirt track racing. Most ( not all) dirt tracks run anti clockwise so the left front tyre spends much of its time in the air as they try to get as much weight transfer as possible to the right rear.  Three really is no point carrying a large heavy wheel when it contributes so little to the actual steering performance.

Nice modified Karl, I really like the combination of parts you ave used here - and yes, they are all clean and straight once - I have used the same excuse to justify some of my clean racecars LOL!

Cheers

Alan

Alan - your answer is better than the one I was going to give - thanks!  

And thanks to all for the kudos!

19 hours ago, alan barton said:

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the explanation Alan. Makes it all clear.

steve

• 1 month later...

Great looking Modified. This has to be when they first took it to the first race of the season...or straight out of the shop for picture day. I've worked on a few of these modifieds and they're always clean before the first race of the season. That's when the team wants to take a whole slough of pics for the Promo portfolio. Again...GREAT job!!!