Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/43 Scale Race Cars

I have always enjoyed the little AMT kits. One of their shortcomings has always been a shortage of wheels. These kits are becoming more expensive to purchase, and some are not too commonly found (especially the 'Cuda, which has a very nice set of Cragar SS wheels). The American Racing wheels that I have are mostly afflicted with sinkholes, although I managed to save a couple. I realize there are aftermarket wheels available in this scale, however, they are mostly for exotic cars; Understandable, given that the market is driven mostly by those and Formula 1 stuff.

I have several of them built, in the display case. They include a 'Cuda, a Torino, a '36 Ford, a '48 Ford, and a Chevelle. Ten or more years ago, I started working on one of the '68 'Vettes, to build as a Stock class NHRA racer. It was shelved, due to a lack of decent wheels and tires. One day, when I was driving for NAPA, I noticed a transmission seal that looked like it might be perfect for the slicks. I jotted down the part number,  so that I could pick one up at the counter. It was perfect! It scaled out exactly to specs! Needs a bit of reshaping of the sidewalls, is all. Still, front wheels and tires were an issue. It was right about there, that my interest waned...

A couple of nights ago, I was rummaging through my boxes of 1/43 scale parts, and discovered that I had two of the '67 Firebirds. Since I have been becoming more interested in vintage circle and road racers again, lately, I decided to take a razor saw and some Evergreen to the wheelwells, to flare them. Of course, that led right back to the wheels and tires issue, which leads to this post. I think I have mostly solved this dilemma!

I began  by chucking the American wheels in the lathe, and cutting them down , so that only the spoke cross-section of the wheel was left. I gathered a selection of the wheels I would likely use, and  used them, as-is, to make molds. Castings will be less "dangerous" to work on, than original parts. Oddly, the only wheels I have that I didn't mold were about four sets of '57 Chevy wheels, which I only mention, because  I don't know where I got so many '57 Chevys! The wheel's diameter is 3/8". Thus,  I used a 3/8" end mill to hollow out a short length of 3/4" Delrin, on the mill. I intend to make tires as I need them for a given project, then mold and cast those, so I only need to make a master for each tire. Now, all I needed was a rim that could be easily duplicated in varying sizes--because rims don't like to be cast in open-faced molds--at least I never  had much luck with them. The rim was simple. 3/8" Evergreen tubing, quickly tapered on the inside edge, and cut off, as needed, for length, to match the width of the tire.

Attached are photos I have of my built 1/43 stuff, a few pics of the current projects and of my 1/43 scale tire and wheel project! The aluminum is going to become a pseudo-Centerline/Super Trick front wheel that I will mold. Interestingly, the Halibrand style wheel is from an old Aurora A/FX Grand Am funny car. It looks pretty much at home, in the Delrin tire! I will modify it some, and mold it, as well. Might make a nice set of wheels for the 'Vette!

I will probably dismantle the 'Cuda, and cast its Cragars. I would like to rebuild it as an "inspired-by Blowfish" salt racer. I also want to redo the Torino as a Stock Car. I have an AMX that will probably become a road racer, as well.

crIMG_0041.jpg

crIMG_0048.jpg

crIMG_0050.jpg

crIMG_0051.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

4 hours ago, gbtr6 said:

Take a look at Grand Prix Models online, from England. They may have some wheels and tires. 

Perry

Thanks, Perry. That will keep me busy, for a minute or two!?

4 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I have bought 1/43 Minilite wheels from an Ebay seller in the UK before.

They may have come from the place Perry mentioned, above. Thanks, Rex!

• 1 month later...

I've never run across these 1/43 AMT kits at all. I do have a Monogram Cobra 289. I also have a couple of Testors with die cast bodies, a 40 Willys and a Corvette GS. Those might be a source of wheeels and other parts for you. I haven't looked them up on evilbay lately to know availability or typical price though.