Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to do-my '57 Gasser

20201114_114653.jpg.74d506f8e31bc36c5d06491b21478af4.jpg1646947689_20201114_114612(1).jpg.8ed3513fe8abe055e1e7df4392df9ea2.jpg

This model has been a battle for quite some a while now. And now after fighting the foiling which is now complete (but not so great) I had a spot of black paint where you see the  primer showing. So  in my infinite wisdom I tried to get the black off rubbing with a damp cloth and thinner and as you can see, here's my result.

I'll take any suggestions on what in the heck can I do as a relitively quick fix without redoing the whole roof again which means pulling off all the foil work. Grrrrr!!!!!

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

20201114_114653.jpg.74d506f8e31bc36c5d06491b21478af4.jpg1646947689_20201114_114612(1).jpg.8ed3513fe8abe055e1e7df4392df9ea2.jpg

This model has been a battle for quite some a while now. And now after fighting the foiling which is now complete (but not so great) I had a spot of black paint where you see the  primer showing. So  in my infinite wisdom I tried to get the black off rubbing with a damp cloth and thinner and as you can see, here's my result.

I'll take any suggestions on what in the heck can I do as a relitively quick fix without redoing the whole roof again which means pulling off all the foil work. Grrrrr!!!!!

Just a thought, but many times race cars aren’t perfect so either distress the paint in a few more places to give it a well used/raced look or use post it’s to cover the general area including the foil work and fog in some more color or even primer to make it look like a real repair in progress. Sometimes I embrace situations like that. If your going for a show car look than the right thing to do would be to reshoot the entire roof.

I always try for at least near perfection and always fall well short. Anyway, good suggestion about just making it look like an actual 1:1 car repair or flaw. Not too sure if thats what I want though. Thinking maybe just doing the decant touch up might be the first thing I'll try to do.  

Thanks for the replies.  I'll keep ya'll posted.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

You're probably right Tom.?

Believe me! I screwed up more than once and masked off / repainted single panels. If I hadn’t, that would be the first thing I’d see every time I looked at the model. Today I don’t even remember which panels they were.

Remember- it’s not how you screwed it up, it’s how you recover!  ?

31 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Believe me! I screwed up more than once and masked off / repainted single panels. If I hadn’t, that would be the first thing I’d see every time I looked at the model. Today I don’t even remember which panels they were.

Remember- it’s not how you screwed it up, it’s how you recover!  ?

You are right my friend. 

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd decant some of that Duplicolor, "spot in" a touchup with a small brush, and display the model with that side facing the wall. 

And spot in the paint thick enough that you can take some ultrafine sandpaper and feather it in, then polish. Did you clearcoat this one or is it just paint?

You've got a number of good possible fixes here. And here's another one: Sand the damage smooth, mask off the roof and give it a black "vinyl" top. 

I just had a similar problem with a built 4-4-2 I was trying to rescue. Big glue booger on the roof that had to be sanded off. I put a good deal of effort into trying to match the otherwise decent paint, but ultimately was unable to do so, so I ended up vinyl-topping the thing. 

66OldsGB024.jpg.8c2b3d2ba30f368f6070e59b631f6f1d.jpg

66OldsGB028.jpg.f766c47417761e26bb56f4ffc77d6403.jpg

Edited by Snake45

No clear. Actually I never do clear, but will have to on my other project we've been discussing on the forum. I'm still thinking the decant, dab on then try to sand/feather out. If that sucks, then go to the repaint the the whole roof, but I'm actually thinking if it comes to that, gloss black.  I'm sure hating to have to scrape off and refoil the roof trim though.

Sand the area slightly larger than the damage to create a feathered edge, tape off the roof, use a piece of card stock as a shield to help protect foil. Use a Q-tip to remove any paint from foil while it is still wet. Polish the area to blend everything together.