Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 69 Chevelle chassis question

Tub as in mini-tub, or full on Pro Street with Pro Stock style tubs? If the latter, both AMT and Revell offered Pro Street '67 Chevelles, either of which would be close enough, as the wheelbase is off only 1".

RMX-4923-6.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

Edited by Casey

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Tub as in mini-tub, or full on Pro Street with Pro Stock style tubs? If the latter, both AMT and Revell offered Pro Street '67 Chevelles, either of which would be close enough, as the wheelbase is off only 1".

RMX-4923-6.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

Actually, it's 3 inches off. But with those big rear tires, it could be easily fudged.

I used a Revell '67 chassis under an AMT '69 Elky many years ago because the AMT coupe chassis was too short and it was very noticeable.

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think I’m going to go pro street I kind of want the wheelie bars... I’ll have to start looking for one of those... Thanks Casey

3 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Actually, it's 3 inches off. But with those big rear tires, it could be easily fudged.

I used a Revell '67 chassis under an AMT '69 Elky many years ago because the AMT coupe chassis was too short and it was very noticeable.

Good info, it would make sense too the revell I’m sure is 1/24th would make up that difference. Thanks Steve

14 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Good info, it would make sense too the revell I’m sure is 1/24th would make up that difference. Thanks Steve

The Revell is 1/25 scale, and different from the (originally) Monogram 1/24 scale Pro Stock (and later Pro Street) kits, so the Revell kit chassis would be the way to go.

I bet a form search would turn up more than a few builds from members who kitbashed with that chassis. Might even be someone who used the same combo you are considering.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The Revell is 1/25 scale, and different from the (originally) Monogram 1/24 scale Pro Stock (and later Pro Street) kits, so the Revell kit chassis would be the way to go.

I bet a form search would turn up more than a few builds from members who kitbashed with that chassis. Might even be someone who used the same combo you are considering.

I'll have to do a search, I have a little trouble with the search feature here but I'll give it a shot later today when I have some time to look though what comes up....

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, SCRWDRVR said:

I'll have to do a search, I have a little trouble with the search feature here but I'll give it a shot later today when I have some time to look though what comes up....

Don't use the search feature on the site. It's basically useless. Check out this thread that Ace Garage Guy posted and use the tips in it. Much better search results.

As an additional tip, I know you are wanting to Pro Street yours but for a stock/mildly modified car there is a better chassis available than the original one from the 69 Chevelle. The AMT 69 Olds W30 chassis is a direct drop in fit. Basically no modifications and it will go under the 69 Chevelle and give you a far better modern tooled chassis. Probably the 69 Hurst Olds will also work but I have never had one of those to be able to verify it.

7 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

As an additional tip, I know you are wanting to Pro Street yours but for a stock/mildly modified car there is a better chassis available than the original one from the 69 Chevelle. The AMT 69 Olds W30 chassis is a direct drop in fit. Basically no modifications and it will go under the 69 Chevelle and give you a far better modern tooled chassis. Probably the 69 Hurst Olds will also work but I have never had one of those to be able to verify it.

I agree. The 69 Olds chassis is one of the most detailed chassis for GM A-bodies of that era. And yes the 69 Hurst Olds is just as detailed. I got some pretty decent sized tires under it without cutting plastic. My 69 Chevelle from the same kit as yours, required cutting out the rear inner fenders. I did not tub it.

HO Olds LR.jpg

HO Olds rear.jpg

SS 502 Chevelle RR.jpg

2 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Don't use the search feature on the site. It's basically useless. Check out this thread that Ace Garage Guy posted and use the tips in it. Much better search results.

I will do that thanks, and for the info on the Olds chassis

2 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I agree. The 69 Olds chassis is one of the most detailed chassis for GM A-bodies of that era. And yes the 69 Hurst Olds is just as detailed. I got some pretty decent sized tires under it without cutting plastic. My 69 Chevelle from the same kit as yours, required cutting out the rear inner fenders. I did not tub it.

Thanks for the info, I’ve been wanting to pick up a Cutlass I’ll have to buy 2