Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the last NEW kit AMT did ?

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

But I never really considered a separation of AMT between owners.

AMT Corporation ceased to exist at some point after Lesney purchased the company. While this is from the '80 AMT Lesney catalog, it clearly indicted AMT no longer existed as a company itself, and was now "Lesney AMT Corporation"

AMT1980Catalog28-vi.jpg.0d02dc1087ff9554fab813bc039be619.jpg

Then, '82...:

AMT1982catalog29-vi.jpg.d3a13cc78640c3945a8b66b82afb2bc3.jpg

That should clear things up. ?

If your interpretation of AMT is as the original, stand-alone company located in Troy, Michigan, the 1978 catalog lists the VW Rabbit kit as a March 1978 release, and a 1/48 scale Martin B-26B as a September release.  I'm not sure the plane was even issued, let alone whether or not it was an AMT item and not shared with (or tooled by) some other company.  The last all-new car kit would have been the Rabbit.  The last scheduled releases by the original company would have been the two Firestone Super Stones Ford pickups (F-350 and Courier) in October 1978.  The 1979 catalog cover reads "AMT Hobby Kits" and "Lesney Products Corporation 1979".  At that point AMT had become a brand name which was the property of another company.  However the mid-year 1979 flyer calls the company "Lesney AMT Corporation", so the argument could be made that it was still a stand-alone operation.  But the purchase by Ertl in 1982 signifies a definite change to being strictly a brand name under the control of a larger entity.

22 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Interesting question. I didn't think there was so many "provisos" to it's answer though. 

But I never really considered a separation of AMT between owners.

A company is a company. Chrysler isn't owned by the same company that it was back in the 70s, but it's still Chrysler. 

I agree, quite simple

On 12/12/2020 at 9:21 AM, keyser said:

Are we there yet? 
Are we there yet?

Alzheimers and intransigence. Horrible diseases. 
??‍♂️??‍♂️

Did my doctor call you ? No alzheimers. Just wondering. My view is still the same

Edited by Greg Myers

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Did my doctor call you ? No alzheimers. Just wondering. My view is still the same

Greg, 

You said 'no alzheimers' but you didn't deny the other.  Does that mean "intransigence' is still on the table?  ?

??

2 hours ago, Danno said:

Greg, 

You said 'no alzheimers' but you didn't deny the other.  Does that mean "intransigence' is still on the table?  ?

??

in·tran·si·gence
/inˈtransəjəns,inˈtranzəjəns/

noun

1. refusal to change one's views or to agree about something.

Choose languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKinyarwandaKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaOdiaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTatarTeluguThaiTurkishTurkmenUkrainianUrduUyghurUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

a7aed38588301db49eaa7faadf4737130633acff

55 minutes ago, tuffone20 said:

I don’t believe that was the question that was asked? 

Those of us with a legitimate interest in discussing the topic and trying to find an answer did just that. Sorry for caring about this hobby and its history-- something some of us are passionate about.