Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell VW Golf MK I Cabriolet 1:24

Rakentaja

3 hours ago, Jim Whalen said:

Nice build of a Mk1 Cabriolet!  The cabriolets didn't suffer from the same quality control problems as the VW Rabbits as they were all built in Germany.  You still see them on the road today as they were built for a longer time than the MK1 hatchbacks.

Correct Jim, they we're all built by Karmann, I was working at Volkswagen-Audi when they produced a Mk2 prototype,  I forget the reason it didn't go into production,  the Mk1 was kept into production until the mk3 came along, the mk1 hatchback was produced in South Africa until 2009.

Here's the mk2 prototype 

a3d0773b6745d724cabdb1607a2183cd.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

25 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Correct Jim, they we're all built by Karmann, I was working at Volkswagen-Audi when they produced a Mk2 prototype,  I forget the reason it didn't go into production,  the Mk1 was kept into production until the mk3 came along, the mk1 hatchback was produced in South Africa until 2009.

Here's the mk2 prototype 

a3d0773b6745d724cabdb1607a2183cd.jpg

The reason I was told the mk2 cab didn't get made was they were considering the corrado for the cab since it was built in the same karmann factory as the mk1

20 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

The reason I was told the mk2 cab didn't get made was they were considering the corrado for the cab since it was built in the same karmann factory as the mk1

No, the prototype mk2 was produced in the early 1980's, the Corrado wasn't released until 1988, the mk1 cabriolet received a slight face-lift in the mid 80's, so the Corrado wasn't even on the scene, but I'm sure it was more than likely down to cost that the mk2 cabriolet wasn't produced. 

The reason why the Corrado wasn't a great seller was price, it was priced in the Audi price range, and it felt more like an Audi product than a Volkswagen, I had one for a short time as a company car, j found it very claustrophobic, although the 1.8 supercharged  was a pretty quick car, the Corrado cabriolet prototype was produced in 1993.

Edited by GeeBee

23 hours ago, milo1303s said:

very nice looks just like a friend of mines !!

23 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Nicely done, first of the revell cabs I've seen built

21 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

20 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Very nice build 

17 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

16 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking build. The instruments look good as does the rest of the interior.  

16 hours ago, Jim Whalen said:

Nice build of a Mk1 Cabriolet!  The cabriolets didn't suffer from the same quality control problems as the VW Rabbits as they were all built in Germany.  You still see them on the road today as they were built for a longer time than the MK1 hatchbacks.

I am very happy with your comments. I think it would have improved, but if I had better models built next year.

Happy New Year 2021

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

and I think the body's were galvanised for rust prevention. Darn good cars these.

Volkswagen didn't galvanise the bodyshells until the mk3 came out,I believe the Later cabriolets had wax injected into the cavities. 

Edited by GeeBee

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

Volkswagen didn't galvanise the bodyshells until the mk3 came out,I believe the Later cabriolets had wax injected into the cavities. 

ah, ok. I new they were rest protected in some way, or at least rust treated better than anything the UK was producing. My 1990 Audi 80 was galvanised, didn't have a spot of rust on it, one of the best cars I've ever owned. It got squashed by a Polish truck driver not checking his blind spot, that was a scary day! I miss that car.