Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 firebird ironing board hood.

I am trying to build a replica of a 1969 firebird that I owned many years ago. I have the AMT Ertl kit #31808 (which in my research looks to be a repop of the MPC kit). Anyway I am trying to find the correct hood. My car was a 6 cylinder OHC with the 4 barrel option. It also had the optional turbo hydromatic 3 speed automatic trans. Another cool option the car had was a rear window defroster that blew air on the inside of the rear window. Anyway the AMT kit comes with the 400 hood & a custom hood, but no stock hood. I did buy a resin cast hood for the Revell 1968 firebird, but I don't think I will be able to make it work. So my question is does anyone resin cast a stock ironing board hood for the 69 firebird ?

The other hood is a Trans-Am piece, not custom.  The MPC '67 and '68 Firebird kits included a base hood, no issue of the '69 ever did.  If you could find a resin casting of the '67-'68 kit hood, it will fit the '69.

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

The other hood is a Trans-Am piece, not custom.  The MPC '67 and '68 Firebird kits included a base hood, no issue of the '69 ever did.  If you could find a resin casting of the '67-'68 kit hood, it will fit the '69.

I have a resin cast of the 68 & it doesn't fit. A bit to wide & about a 1/8" -3/16" to short. Not sure if I am capable of making it longer.

46 minutes ago, mark 23 said:

I have a resin cast of the 68 & it doesn't fit. A bit to wide & about a 1/8" -3/16" to short. Not sure if I am capable of making it longer.

You have a resin cast of the Revell hood. Mark is saying that the MPC hood should fit.

17 hours ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

2079706029_1969PontiacFirebirdandGTO(Cdn)-08-09.jpg.eb91a943d0dc3645d6fbc242660be838.jpg

7 minutes ago, mark 23 said:

This is what I'm talking about. I can sand down the sides of the hood to fit, but the hood isn't long enough to fill out the space.

100_0987.JPG

100_0988.JPG

100_0990.JPG

100_0994.JPG

100_0995.JPG

Edited by mark 23

18 hours ago, Mark said:

Yes I misspoke about the custom hood & I do have a resin cast 67-68 hood. I picked it up from missing link on ebay. Also just ordered some resin hubcaps from fireball models.

To hopefully straighten everything out, the original MPC '67 and '68 kits did have the plain base model hood.  The original '69 annual kit does not have it.  It does have two hoods, one being the 400 hood with the small scoops.  The other is a custom piece which was probably made by reworking the plain hood.  The 400 hood in the more recent kits was newly tooled and is not the same as the original one.  I don't think it fits as well as the original piece either.

The Revell hood should in theory fit the MPC body because the parts on the actual cars are the same.  But the kits were created forty years apart, by two companies, with different people and different methods.  You'd expect that similar parts should interchange between kits, but that is rarely the case.

2 hours ago, Draggon said:

You could always combine the front half of the kit hood with the back half of the resin hood. That's unless the teardrop shape is a lot different between the hoods. 

That's a good idea, but I'm afraid I'm not that talented.

54 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I have this release and it has the 2 scoop hood, could you take the scoops off that to do it?

Boxart 1969 Pontiac Firebird 38540 AMT/ERTL

I think that is the same as the AMT kit I am working with. Just a different box. I tried to take the scoops off & it wasn't a pretty sight when i finished.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, mark 23 said:

I think that is the same as the AMT kit I am working with. Just a different box. I tried to take the scoops off & it wasn't a pretty sight when i finished.

I don't know if it will help you but I came across this on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-8-RESIN-1-25-HOODS-Challenger-Firebird-Camaro-more/203228792713?hash=item2f51614789:g:eckAAOSwB7pf2lWw

15 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Thanks for your help. I too saw that for sale I have 3 of the hoods pictured in the sale. I am still going to try & modify what I have, but have put the kit aside for a while & starting on something else.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, Jack L said:

I have a used painted one from a 67 . Send me your addy    jacklira489@sbcglobel.net

Thanks for the offer, but I have the 67/68 hood already. Putting the kit aside for a bit & starting on something else now. Gonna build a 69 Penske Camaro 

On 1/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, Casey said:

Not that I'm aware of. I think modifying the Firebird 400 style hood is your only option.

I tried modifying  the stock 400 hood & it was a disaster.. My filing & sanding skills need improvement.

59 minutes ago, mark 23 said:

I tried modifying  the stock 400 hood & it was a disaster.. My filing & sanding skills need improvement.

Understood. Did you see this reply?:

I have a used painted one from a 67 . Send me your addy    jacklira489@sbcglobel.net

'67 or '68 MPC Firebird hoods should fit, as Mark mentioned above, so if Jack is offering one, you should definitely take him up on his offer. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

'67 or '68 MPC Firebird hoods should fit, as Mark mentioned above, so if Jack is offering one, you should definitely take him up on his offer. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Jack Ya know being old & sometimes confused I didn't really understand that you were offering one from a original 67 kit. Yes PLEASE I would like that hood. Some years back I built the 1967 1/2 MPC Firebird kit to represent my 67 firebird that I owned back in the late 70's early 80's. I went over to the shelf, took the hood off, tried it on the 69 AMT Firebird kit I am building & it fit PERFECT!!!.   I will send you my address ASAP & THANK YOU. Casey thanks for pointing out my error. Being new to the board it looks like I have a lot to learn.

100_0678.JPG