Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volkswagen Golf GTi

GeeBee

What to do when you have a box full of Volkswagen Golf GTi parts, minus the bodyshell??
 Sometime ago I bought the Revell Golf GTi kit off eBay, the bodyshell was destroyed in transit,  seems a shame to have all these parts sitting idle, so I've been in touch with Revell to see if I can purchase a new body, and I'll be building a very rare GTi, only available for one year in Left hand drive only and never officially available in the UK, and to make it even rarer, it will have the wheels that were popular on the Scirocco, but Available on the GTi for 2 years,which I have left over from the Golf Cabriolet, so this one will be a very early (1978) Golf GTi in Viper Green.

4b74a754c64739a5c17a75c8cd4d79ca.png

250glsal.jpg

22 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Dude that’s awesome

I need to get a gti model stat! 

The photo i posted wasn't the best, here's an original Scirocco in Viper Green Metallic with the wheels I'll be using, only very early GTI's were available in this colour and only in left hand drive, I don't think I've ever seen one in the UK. 

VIP1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rockford said:

Seems to fall together, looks a very well engineered kit. German engineering through and through! This was a thoroughbred car, just so perfectly engineered (reminds me of the Austin Allegro, a close second). Makes a great subject.

The Austin Allegro would have been a much different and better looking car if the bean counters hadn't insisted that the E series engine from the Maxi had to be used in the 1500 and later 1750 which brought the bonnet height up, i worked for British Leyland and later Austin Rover, I could list so many projects that the bean counters ruined.20210130_112115.jpg.4c8d54d6608daa7c696195b7ce36527f.jpg

28 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

The Austin Allegro would have been a much different and better looking car if the bean counters hadn't insisted that the E series engine from the Maxi had to be used in the 1500 and later 1750 which brought the bonnet height up, i worked for British Leyland and later Austin Rover, I could list so many projects that the bean counters ruined.20210130_112115.jpg.4c8d54d6608daa7c696195b7ce36527f.jpg

That brings back memories, I still have one of the sqare steering wheels in my mums attic. When revell did a vote about 4 or 5 years ago on the german site the allegro came third after the bay window van so I have my fingers crossed we might see one in scale someday. I can see an unusaul gasser build from one

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I was on the receiving end of Leyland trucks as a mechanic,  the 500 fixed head and the Sherpa van!