Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 SCCA Corvette W.I.P.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:06 PM, TransAmMike said:

Mark, is your build gonna have stripes (or a stripe) front to back. If so, decals or painted on. I'm thinking a single stripe down the middle of my '63.

Mike , This was probably one of the most plain jane looking grand sports to ever race. So no on the stripes. But if I did have to do them, they would have been decals. I'm not really good at masking and painting stripes or even two tone paint jobs for that matter. .

On 3/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, MarkJ said:

Thanks , Josh. I have no idea what that thing is or what function it serves. It kinda looks like a periscope but I'm thinking it might be something for cooling something. But I 

really haven't got a clue .Its facing the wrong way to be a fuel tank vent.

Not sure either but here are larger photos.

125820995.jpg?125821097.jpg?

It is present in period photos as well.

1963_Corvette_Grand_Sport_Track.jpg

Edited by afx

20 hours ago, Venom said:

It looks almost like a Schraeder valve, but what would it go too??

The Grand Sports had hydraulic jacking systems, but they were behind that plate in the front fender. You could hook up compressed air at a fitting like you see for an air tool . I guess the side pipes would have been crushed if they tried to use a regular floor jack. A shrader valve there makes no sense to me either. I'm thinking that blue Grand Sport pictured above might be a reproduction. There are a few things like the fuel filler that are not like the cars from 57 years ago. But they did an awesome job on it.

Edited by MarkJ

Holy Smoke!!!

Just found this and went through all 5 pages in detail. I could not 10% of what you can do Mark!

One of 2 things will happen here, you make it through and get the trophy for builder of the year or this project makes you go Howard Hughes mad! 🤪

Courage my friend. You'll get through this immense challenge

Wow, Pierre.  I thought you could never find this thread buried down here.  I'd say your 53 Ford with all the things in the bed and the weathered Black widow are more in line for recieving Builder of the Year,  then this hacked up puttied up creation. I have 32 more steps to do, to  finish . So at 2 days a step,  I'm probably looking at 2 more months till completion, if i don't go  Howard Hughes crazy first. Thanks for the props and the new ideas about painting, which i hope I can figure out to some degree of success.

Mark, I’m learning a lot as I watch this thread... at first when I saw you hack up that undercarriage I thought, “what in the world?”, and then saw how nice it came out after you did your thing. I’m new to watching these WIP’s and yours is helping me to see  how the process works ... you got to get ugly and just get down to it, and that’s what you do, gradually morphing this thing into an awesome race car. Cool stuff, keep it up!👍

Those headers look great! ... dash too.

Edited by Venom

4 hours ago, Venom said:

Mark, I’m learning a lot as I watch this thread... at first when I saw you hack up that undercarriage I thought, “what in the world?”, and then saw how nice it came out after you did your thing. I’m new to watching these WIP’s and yours is helping me to see  how the process works ... you got to get ugly and just get down to it, and that’s what you do, gradually morphing this thing into an awesome race car. Cool stuff, keep it up!👍

Those headers look great! ... dash too.

Thanks , Josh. These amt kits always seem to have the molded in stock exhaust and suspensions so you have to remove at least some of it or you can go crazy and remove all of it' but that isnt really worth it. So I just try to remove the obvious stuff that would look ridiculous if you kept it. Like the exhaust.

I'm going to say the engine is done. I wanted to dull it down some and wanted to by the vallejo matt varnish , but h.l. was out of it ,so I bought the satin varnish, but it did not dull it down enough. I will try the other h.l. in the area and see if they have it. 

64penskewipsenalfi1.jpg

64penskewipsenalfi2.jpg

64penskewipsenalfi3.jpg

The engine looks good Mark👍

One time, with silvery parts like those, I got cool results by spraying very light misting of black paint through the airbrush ... just super light passes and not getting too close with it ... mostly it just dirties the surface appearance to whatever extent you want to go, and I suppose that using matte black would also dull out the sheen a bit, but if you were to do it you might want to remove the headers so they could be done separately, or not at all.

4 minutes ago, Venom said:

The engine looks good Mark👍

One time, with silvery parts like those, I got cool results by spraying very light misting of black paint through the airbrush ... just super light passes and not getting too close with it ... mostly it just dirties the surface appearance to whatever extent you want to go, and I suppose that using matte black would also dull out the sheen a bit, but if you were to do it you might want to remove the headers so they could be done separately, or not at all.

Thanks, Josh, but whatever I do from now on will not involve spraying . I'm all in with just using a brush from now on. I think if I can get the matt varnish it will give me the results I want. Thanks again for the comment..

2 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Thanks, Josh, but whatever I do from now on will not involve spraying . I'm all in with just using a brush from now on. I think if I can get the matt varnish it will give me the results I want. Thanks again for the comment..

Oh that’s right ... I forgot that you had mentioned that you were going to be trying new methods with brushes only..👍👍

14 hours ago, Venom said:

Oh that’s right ... I forgot that you had mentioned that you were going to be trying new methods with brushes only..👍👍

Yup, I'm still on board with it. One thing I have realized is the masking for a two tone paint job will be a lot easier because there is no overspray.  Also i will never have to clean my airbrush again and I can wash my brushes in the sink with Dawn. No toxic chemicals involved at all. 

Another option for the engine, following up on Josh’s suggestion, would be to use the premixed washes from Tamiya (enamel based) or the range of Vellejo washes (acrylic based) that are applied with a brush. It would deepen the recesses and create greater depth to the engine. Cheers Misha

11 hours ago, Venom said:

Mark, it looks even better with the extra details ... I was just noticing the Venturi tubes for the first time. What did you make those out of?

I had to cheat a little on those . The 1/25 scale amt webers had to be drilled out first and then there was not much room for any kind of tubing that I had. I did not want to go through the side of the chrome intake part of the weber. I had to use a solid piece of styrene rod paint it bronze and then put a touch of black paint at the end of the rod to simulate a hollow tube. They dont make a drill bit small enough to drill out that size rod. I wanted to do what you did to your webers but they just weren't big enough.

5 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I had to cheat a little on those . The 1/25 scale amt webers had to be drilled out first and then there was not much room for any kind of tubing that I had. I did not want to go through the side of the chrome intake part of the weber. I had to use a solid piece of styrene rod paint it bronze and then put a touch of black paint at the end of the rod to simulate a hollow tube. They dont make a drill bit small enough to drill out that size rod. I wanted to do what you did to your webers but they just weren't big enough.

Looks convincing in the photo.