Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 550 Spyder

GeeBee

Gary,

Thanks for the recognition.
There were two things in play with John's product.

1. Subterfuge. The ACME resin body distribution was off the record. John intended to sell his kits mainstream. So, we did not want to thumb our nose at the original Japanese product maker.  Even though it was extremely doubtful they could have sold more product outside of Japan (huge price and language hurdles). So, John made some things "different" to say it was not an outright copy.
  2. Normalizing. That bump is like a typical engine access panel. The baseline 500A design required flipping the headrest up and then flipping the whole rear bodywork back to get to the engine. Some owner had another opening added to give ease of access. This is very unique. As stated in the posts above, the "normal" 550A did not have such. To make his subject more appealing, John eliminated the bump/access.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff Edmondson, MRRN, Teapot Graphics, wow. All names I grew up with years ago. I still have every issue of MRRN in a slip case somewhere. We moved into our new digs in November and have yet to unpack that box.

I'm pretty sure I have all of John's kits, most of the UMi kits, some built, most not yet.

P1010104.jpg P1010003.jpg P1010020.jpg

I'm glad I found this place.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 6:55 PM, Allan31 said:

Jeff Edmondson, MRRN, Teapot Graphics, wow. All names I grew up with years ago. I still have every issue of MRRN in a slip case somewhere. We moved into our new digs in November and have yet to unpack that box.

I'm pretty sure I have all of John's kits, most of the UMi kits, some built, most not yet.

P1010104.jpg P1010003.jpg P1010020.jpg

I'm glad I found this place.

3 excellent models, Allan !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, afx said:

What is your plan for attaching the PE scripts, emblems, etc. to the body?

Just saw this thread...if only we knew a guy...

These will not be on any website, and are reserved for the cool people here and at whatever show I manage to get to.

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

• Like 3

Sorry for my phone photos...these are hard to photo...the middle Boxster and left is gold foil or metallic gold, all else to the right is chrome foil.