Model Cars Magazine Forum

Group B rally car with engine detail?

Hi
I am interested in building an old group b rally car. I am looking for one that has full engine detail, but one that will fit together nicely without too much issues. I am not good at scratchbuilding and typically it ends in failure when i attempt it. i prefer hatchback style cars, but it certainly doesnt have to be a hatch. I have been searching for 2 days, but my google skills seemed to have failed me.

are there any current kits out there that have full engine detail? I am located in the USA, but will order overseas if the kit is good quality.

i recently found kits by plats/nunu on the hiroboy site, but it looks like they are curbside

any help would be greatly appreciated.

You're asking for something many Americans aren't into to begin with.  This genre of race kits generally doesn't have engines, I can't think of any that do.  If anything, it's just the top and bottom, like a glorified curbside.  My favorite is the Audi Quattro, got the Profil 24 resin kit, before Beemax introduced theirs, which needed the USCP engine.  Have you looked through the Spot Model website?

17 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

You're asking for something many Americans aren't into to begin with.  This genre of race kits generally doesn't have engines, I can't think of any that do.  If anything, it's just the top and bottom, like a glorified curbside.  My favorite is the Audi Quattro, got the Profil 24 resin kit, before Beemax introduced theirs, which needed the USCP engine.  Have you looked through the Spot Model website?

they have a lot of nice kits. i looked through them and it gave me good ideas for research.

generally, how are hasegawa kits? do they fit together ok?

Belkits do a metro 6r4, the reno 5 is available from heller or italeri. The pug 205 is available from tamiya, the porsche 959 rally version is available from hasegawa. I think there is also a for rs200 coming in the future. beemax/nunu do a lancia delta and audi quattro (new version of the audi coming soon). I'm not sure which of these have engines in the kits but the rear engine cars probably will have them. There's also a few resin kits but they dont usually have engines.

Edited by stitchdup

33 minutes ago, youpey said:

they have a lot of nice kits. i looked through them and it gave me good ideas for research.

generally, how are hasegawa kits? do they fit together ok?

I have two in my stash, not built yet, so can't really answer.

I should mention, built the Heller Renault 5 Turbo rally, Box Stock, could have gone nuts making it accurate and detailed, but a half decent kit.

Edited by 89AKurt
add link

Build the Peugeot 205T16 from Tamiya.  It has a full engine.

Tamiya's Audi Quattro has somewhat of an engine and looks pretty decent....

The Group 4 Fiat 131 Abarth also from Tamiya, has a full engine.

The Group 4 Lancia Stratos from Revell has an engine.

As well the larger scale at 1/12 and 1/10 kits of the Stratos have engines

You could create a TdF Group 4 Porsche 934 from the Tamiya kit if you want to scratch some parts, and I found a great link for RP rally parts here....

https://en.kmp-sm.com/cars-1-12

Also, the Raid cars from Tamiya, both Peugeots T16 variants, have engines....

My Hasegawa 037 has an engine, however you would need to open the engine cover and scratch build the details.

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

37 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I have two in my stash, not built yet, so can't really answer.

I should mention, built the Heller Renault 5 Turbo rally, Box Stock, could have gone nuts making it accurate and detailed, but a half decent kit.

i built the heller renault 5 rally a while back, it was pretty nice kit. i also have the tamiya version as well, but its horrible. it was one the motorized kits, so there is no engine detail at all. i have the tamiya 205 kit, but the body is a bit warped. i am trying to tape it together now to see it it will go back to the right shape. 

i ordered the nunu/platz peugeot 306 kit. its not group b and it doesnt have an engine, but i really like it. i am looking at the hasegawa lancia 037 kit. its not cheap, so i am going to try to find some reviews before i buy it. 

it looks like the aoshima lancia s4 kit has tremendous engine detail, but i havent found the kit for under 100 dollars. i dont want to spend that much. 

The Hasegawa 037 kit is excellent.  I might have a spare kit I would let go if you are interested.  Also have a Peugeot 205 Turbo.

The NuNu Porsche 911 SCRS kit is due to be released very soon. I was working on converting the Fujimi kit to an SCRS when the NuNu kit was announced.

2v2JF9HiaxHzrnLDSCN5616

Edited by afx