Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got 12 Cylinders & Uses 'em All!

Kromolly

This is my first WIP and with the project coming along to my satisfaction, I'm confident enough to post my progress.  I'm sure this has been done before, but this is my interpretation of the original Hot Rod Lincoln build by Charlie Ryan. I'm using an older Monogram '30 Ford Coupe and a junkyard Monogram '41 Lincoln Continental.  In hindsight I wish I would have bought a new kit of the Lincoln.  Lesson learned.  Here's a picture of my first mockup, trying to determine how I was going to get the V-12 to fit.

IMG_0543.jpg

The original car used a modified Lincoln frame.  Since the Monogram Lincoln has the frame and body pan molded together, I opted to use the Model A frame.  I added a couple of crossmembers and a support for the engine.  I used the Lincoln rear axle, but the front axle was too far gone after having been broken and re-glued by the PO so I used the Model A front axle..

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

Edited by Kromolly

Engine and body in primer and test-fit.  Sits a little high in the front, I'm going to see if I can bring it down a little.  Wheels and tires are from the Revell '64 Chevy pickup.  I may go ahead and use them with the Lincoln hub caps from the junker.  Since this is my interpretation, I'll twist a couple of things.

IMG_0548.jpg

I had to lengthen the hood.  It's hard to tell how Charlie did it in the old pics I've seen, and it really doesn't matter too much.  Some old pictures show what looks like an angle point, where the original hood would have ended and the angle changed to extend it to the radiator.  My interpretation is a backyard hot rod, and the simple way to lengthen the hood was to bend a section of sheet metal and run it straight from the original end of hood to the radiator.  I also added a little to the rear of the hood to get enough length.

IMG_0554.jpg

Edited by Kromolly

At this point I have the hood roughly shaped and primed and the engine painted and sitting in the chassis.  It's all still at mockup, nothing is glued yet.  I like the way the hood came out, it looks like a backyard job (at least to my eye).  I've read that the original car was a bit rough, not like the restored version that sold at Barrett-Jackson a while back.  I'm trying to build in that spirit.  I'm going to add a piece of round stock down the center of the hood to simulate a hinge.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Edited by Kromolly

• Kromolly changed the title to Got 12 Cylinders & Uses 'em All!

I haven't been able to make much progress this week, I've been under the weather.  I did manage to come up with pieces from the parts box, and with some sanding was able to assemble, paint and attach hub caps to the wheels.  I need to do a little more body work on the hood.  Another mockup to see how the wheels & tires are fitting.  The fender unit is warped causing the fenders to curl up on the outside and make them ride too high above the tires.  I've been slowly massaging those in alternating hot and cold water bathes and they are getting better.  Charlie Ryan used the dash from a '41 Lincoln based on what I've read, so I resized the Lincoln dash and will use it.  Hope to get back to this soon... you know you're feeling puny when you can't muster the energy to model.  😖

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated this one in a while.  I'm getting close to final assembly on the Hot Rod Lincoln.  I'm satisfied with the paint for my theme (backyard hot rod).  I cut Testors gloss black (enamel) with some flat black to give the appearance of an amateur paint job.  I think the lengthened hood turned out pretty good.  I noticed in the pictures that the body is a little dirty, those are water spots.  Interior floor was modified to fit the Lincoln V-12 and transmission.  The idea was to replicate a quick and dirty sheet metal mod that might have been done in the backyard.  The firewall required a little grinding, but the engine is now sitting nicely.  The rest of the interior is done and ready for install.  The paint is still a little soft so I'm going to set it aside for a week or so.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg