Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a good pre thinned paint for model bodies

What is a good pre thinned paint for model bodies?

I have been using tamiya spray paint basically forever and im tired of their color Choices. is there a brand of pre thinned that hoes on easy and smooth and is forgiving like tamiya?

I'm not a fan of hot lacquers on models. But both MCW and Scale Finishes offer enamel ( though MCW enamel you need to thin yourself, that's a non issue to me. Actually I wish the automotive lacquer was the same because they use a faster thinner than I would if I thinned it myself).

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

I'm not a fan of hot lacquers on models. But both MCW and Scale Finishes offer enamel ( though MCW enamel you need to thin yourself, that's a non issue to me. Actually I wish the automotive lacquer was the same because they use a faster thinner than I would if I thinned it myself).

when i go to the scale finishes site, they have a basecoat selection and a gloss enamel section.  what is the difference?

50 minutes ago, youpey said:

when i go to the scale finishes site, they have a basecoat selection and a gloss enamel section.  what is the difference?

The base coat dries flat, it needs clear gloss coating. That base coat may be lacquer ( Steve would know or you could contact them).

The gloss enamel is a gloss paint obviously.

Tamiya has released a line of lacquer paints (LP) which should be available in the US by the end of March.  It looks great in the videos I've seen.  Dries fast and very tough finish.  I'm going to have to try it, assuming my local hobby shop carries it.  Ok by the way, looks like the color selection is going to be a lot better than the acrylics complete with metal flakes.  

+1 on MCW and Scale Finishes

Also: Splash Paints ( based in the US)

Gravity Colors Spain (NOT Gravity Colors USA!!!)

Zero Paints (limited availability in the US)

SpotModel out of Spain is selling paint from a company called Street Blisters that has a growing list of colors. I’ve never tried them, though, but I do purchase from SpotModel often.

All of the above are pretty hot lacquers and require a primer coat.

Ben