Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mineral Oil

Hi gang! Need some help. Can mineral oil be used as a lubricant with model plastics? I’m in the process of assembling the old Visible V-8 Engine with lights and motor! Built one as a kid and and barely got it to function! Fifty years later, I want to try again hopefully with better results! Instructions show using oil on areas that move (didn’t know that as a kid!) but does not say what type. I don’t want to go using just anything that would react and possibly craze or melt the plastic! Got a incomplete vintage kit and a new reissued one without the electrics for parts that I’ve been sitting on and decided to bring it to life! Recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks Pete for the link! Mineral oil it is. It’s funny, I just read through the newer Revell version of the visible v8 kit and it says to use vegetable oil as a lubricant! But I’ve seen vegetable oil age, dry out and get gummy in a small bowl so, I don’t think I want that going on inside this finished model!