Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chassis help

Hoping some of you can help.   Been building a number of drag cars over the years and always admired those who built a frame from scratch.   I’ve really focused most of my builds as outlaw cars as I like the stock appearance with some body mods.   Problem is that the chassis’s over time have become more elaborate and for sake of scale I’ve been using spare chassis from the Pontiac pro stock kit and modified a few bars here and there.   I’ve also faced a lot of issues with height and length as it’s not made for that type of car. I’ve seen some go off of drawings from chassis shops web sites but never can find a place that may have a 2 to 3 view that I could enlarge to build to each type of car I may be building such as a nova or a camaro.  On another note how are you getting the bars to join so neatly.  I know that in the 1:1 they notch the pipes but can’t seem to find a great way to make this happen on a small scale Any help would be greatly appreciated

Type this into google and you will get a whole bunch of threads on here about the topic. Some will be more helpful than others. Substitute “frame building” for any other topic you want to research.

site:modelcarsmag.com frame building

18 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I can't help you with the drawings but for notching tunes a cheap set of jewelers files is great. 

Agreed. Start with a triangular file to create a notch, then finish it with a round file. I use this method for brass, as well. Makes for neater, stronger joints, in either medium.