Model Cars Magazine Forum

Perry Cottingham 73 Buick Regal

DoctorLarry

More progress last night. Fixing the last zits on the body so I can shoot some paint. I cut off the molded on automatic transmission from the Buick engine and glued on a B-O-P bellhousing and Muncie that was an EBAY resin purchase in my parts stash. I modified the TBird seat to resemble an earlier model by cutting it down and reshaping the sides. I have to modify the oil pan and attach a dry sump pump to the engine and figure the oil lines out. I have a Fireball resinย Holley double pumper to go on the engine, which I painted with the Buick dark red. I also painted theย oil tank and some other small parts.2134905716_buickenginefitting.jpg.d2987497747105728b7edee67ff6e8f0.jpg

buick engine.jpg

cottingham body rear.jpg

cottingham chassis 6.jpg

cottingham progress 1.jpg

I could not find a lighter shade of paint, so I just am going with this one. I detailed the body with some Molotow and silver paint, started detailing the suspension and detailed the wheels with paint and valve stems. I'm starting the plumbing and other engine details as well.

body foil 1.jpg

body foil 2.jpg

chassis foil 1.jpg

wheel detail 1.jpg

regal chassis detail 1.jpg

Thanks, Carl. I got some more done in the last few evenings. Assembled the cage and began to tie up the plumbing. Put the steering wheel and column in and painted the dash. I need to decal the dash gauges and build a headrest for the seat. I need to do the harness as well. I tucked the front bumper and removed the rub strip. I need to put the welds on the bumper and sand the bolts down a bit. The engine is ready to go in and finish the plumbing for oil lines and brakes. I scratch built a master cylinder and need to install the brake lines. Then make a window net. Lots of little stuff to go.

cottingham front bumper tuck.jpg

cottingham chassis 8.jpg

cottingham chassis 10.jpg

cottingham chassis 11.jpg

Closing in on the end. Last night after class I did some more plumbing work and tied up some lines. They use a ton of zip ties on these cars! Finished the brake lines and oil cooler and remote filter lines. Set the engine in place. A few more details and the chassis work is done. The wire sticking up is the coil wire that goes to the ignition box. It gets done last.

chassis detail 1.jpg

engine detail.jpg

Getting down to the final details. Made a window net, added some more plumbing, fitted mesh on the front grille and detailed the front bumper. I made up some decals printed on clear decal paper. When they came off the backing they did not show up so back to square one on those. The chassis is almost done. I need to do exhaust, which is always a pain on these cars. If you don't use the Ford engine in the chassis, no exhaust wants to fit so it usually meansย meticulously bending styrene rod to make headers. What a pain.

cottingham chassis bottom.jpg

chassis detail 1.jpg

cottingham chassis rear 1.jpg

cottingham engine detail 1.jpg