Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ertl 59 Corvette

It's actually a '60, the upholstery pattern on the seats is 1960.  

When it was first reissued in the mid-Seventies, it was called a '59, and most reissues after that were also called a '59.  Revell first reissued their '59 around that time, but called that one a '60.  Interior in the Revell kit is correct for a '59.

While many may criticize this kit for not being up to today's model car kit design standards, it was cutting-edge for an annual model car kit in 1960.

In 1958, AMT and SMP launched their 3-in-1 customizing kits, which were kit versions of their 1/25-scale annual promotional models (promos) that they produced for the U.S. auto manufacturers. They included custom and racing parts along with a decal sheet.

For 1958 and '59, the kits (like the promos) did not have opening hoods or engines.

This continued for the 1960 annuals except for three of the annual model kits that were featured with new opening hoods and engine compartment details (including V-8 engines). These three annual kits were the AMT '60 Ford Thunderbird, the AMT '60 Buick Invicta, and the SMP '60 Corvette. (The AMT '60 Ford F-100 and SMP '60 Chevy Apache pickup kits also began to feature opening hoods and engines as well.)

When I see this kit today, I see a survivor of model kit history. The '60 Corvette and '59 Chrysler Imperial (both originally SMP kits) are the last remnants of the 1958-60 period of annuals that, along with the AMT Trophy Series kits, launched a model car kit hobby.

Unbuilt-SMP-1960-Corvette-customizing-hardtop-125-scale-model-kit_1599301914_3057-thumb.jpg

dsc03813.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, blizzy63 said:

While many may criticize this kit for not being up to today's model car kit design standards, it was cutting-edge for an annual model car kit in 1960.

In 1958, AMT and SMP launched their 3-in-1 customizing kits, which were kit versions of their 1/25-scale annual promotional models (promos) that they produced for the U.S. auto manufacturers. They included custom and racing parts along with a decal sheet.

For 1958 and '59, the kits (like the promos) did not have opening hoods or engines.

This continued for the 1960 annuals except for three of the annual model kits that were featured with new opening hoods and engine compartment details (including V-8 engines). These three annual kits were the AMT '60 Ford Thunderbird, the AMT '60 Buick Invicta, and the SMP '60 Corvette. (The AMT '60 Ford F-100 and SMP '60 Chevy Apache pickup kits also began to feature opening hoods and engines as well.)

When I see this kit today, I see a survivor of model kit history. The '60 Corvette and '59 Chrysler Imperial (both originally SMP kits) are the last remnants of the 1958-60 period of annuals that, along with the AMT Trophy Series kits, launched a model car kit hobby.

This is the OOB version I built last month with the tires from a recent AMT 55 Chevy. Still need to add some period decals to it. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel & the early signs of Parkinsons ( slight finger tremors ) a couple of months ago & I have been doing some promo style builds.
For an early kit it did have some well detailed parts such as the exhaust manifolds with some decent bolt details.20210609_130031.thumb.jpg.97d485de1d0a5d11ff3cc76785373c7c.jpg20210609_130049.thumb.jpg.b54d03a038b0ca701c16ebb3802bb74f.jpg20210609_130110.thumb.jpg.79513786a10ad7bc0d0c4015a31592f5.jpg.

4 hours ago, VW93 said:

Looks like a typical, vintage 1958-60 build of this kit. (The next step for a typical vintage build would be to put on every decal on the sheet!)

Interesting ivory coloring on that model. Looks like the color of vintage styrene from the early AMT/SMP annual kits. Is that paint or the plastic? What issue is your kit?

I have one in white plastic (from 1974) and one in grey (2004).

ORG-ISSUE-Vtg-1960-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-AMT-1-25.jpg

• Like 1

Robert, natural plastic, the only parts I detailed were the taillights with an old felt tip marker. Plastic is not as bright as the newer issue AMT kits that are molded in white.
I may add the side pipes to it once I decide on the decals for it
Kit was the Street Rod series from 1974 which I believe was the first time it was reissued.

1 hour ago, blizzy63 said:

Looks like a typical, vintage 1958-60 build of this kit. (The next step for a typical vintage build would be to put on every decal on the sheet!)

Interesting ivory coloring on that model. Looks like the color of vintage styrene from the early AMT/SMP annual kits. Is that paint or the plastic? What issue is your kit?

I have one in white plastic (from 1974) and one in grey (2004).

ORG-ISSUE-Vtg-1960-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-AMT-1-25.jpg

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Good eye! B)

If you're interested, this isn't a great kit but it's not horrible, either. (It's better than their '62.)  I built one last year and it came out pretty decent for what it is. 

59Corvette15.jpg.10971bbe99841f232a46d5ffbcd822c9.jpg

59Corvette19.jpg.03fae19a0ecb394f2186879e2a7c0f23.jpg

Great build Snake, your right about the 62 my Favorite is the AMT 57 Corvette..

On 6/30/2021 at 11:13 AM, Supernurd said:

I bought this off ebay and just noticed something out of whack.  It appears Amt built this with the headlight bezels upside down. 

IMG_20210630_105450.jpg

IMG_20210630_110951.jpg

That build was done during a pretty low period for AMT/Ertl box art. IIRC, Ertl was utilizing grade school kids to build their box art cars at the time. The 25 T kit was similarly bad, using a stock firewall (instead of the sectioned one) for the T Bucket street rod version on the cover. This made the body sit too high on the frame. Then you have the backwards mounted cowl lights mixed with the Appleton Spots on the cowl.

amt-1925-ford-model-roadster-pickup 1 299b7a1a10503f704f6dc46b3771868e

Almost as bad was the 56 Ford Victoria, with its miss-matched wheels... Spindle Mount on one side, chrome reversed on the other..

56 Ford Victoria, AMT/ERTL 6547 (1985)

That's the hot mess that inspired me to start buiding box art models for Ertl, which I did from 1990 to 1995.

Back to the "59" Corvette, Mark is correct. It is a reissue of the SMP 1960 Annual, and some of the newer issues (Pro Shop prepaint) have a few of the old custom parts restored (unfortunately not the clear hardtop). It's a fun nostalgic kit, although even then, the Revell multi-piece body 59 (reissued numerous times as a 60) kit was far superior, if you are a stickler for accuracy and detail. Certainly enjoy it for what it is, and a set of wide whites and two tone paint will really make it pop. 

Edited by Dave Darby

It's interesting that SMP didn't issue this kit as a '58.  The tool did exist, promo models were made for '58, but no kit.  It's just as baffling that AMT didn't offer a '58 Thunderbird kit.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, Snake45 said:

If you're interested, this isn't a great kit but it's not horrible, either. (It's better than their '62.)  I built one last year and it came out pretty decent for what it is. 

The body detail isn't bad putting aside the out of scale problems.  I've got extra 283s lying around to replace the blob in this kit, but being what it is, I think I will just glue the hood shut, build it with custom parts and try to give it some dignity.  I plan to do the 62 too!  I've got the Revell 58 unbuilt, but I plan to fart around with these "not so great" kits just for fun.  That MPC 60 corvette seems like a worthy build too.