Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT Monogram, 1/25

I have not touched a model kit in nearly two years. I decided it was time to exit the hobby and do other things.  Going through my kits in preparation to start selling things off I came across this kit. It was already in primer and was a bit of a "back to my roots " purchase.  As a teenager I would go to the local hobby store,  pick out a model with some visual appeal, buy it and take it home for paint and assembly.  

I am taking a similar course with this model.  I am making no attempt to "correctly build it," so if you are a rivet counter you will be disappointed.  Instead,  I just want to have fun with it and have something with good shelf appeal. 

Here is my progress report as I started spraying paint Thursday. 

20211113_190257.jpg

20211113_191649.jpg

20211113_190447.jpg

Enjoy the build.  There quite a few street legal original and SAFIR GT40’s out there that are still driven in races in Europe.  With the Superformance ones and other impressive recreation or tribute cars around it seems like I see at least one at every cars show I attend.  I did not attend SEMA but here is a picture from this year.

66B02E83-F39E-483A-ADBC-DCDD0FE3D7DA.jpeg

AEE0BF56-4E90-4915-ABBE-F898167588E5.png

8AF4879A-B5C0-467B-BC12-74762CEA907B.png

Edited by vamach1

Eric..the kit you are working on is a re-release of an early Aurora kit....circa 1965.  You certainly are going back to the roots of the hobby. Its a nice kit and very well detailed  for when it was originally released. You are off to a good start.  I finally finished mine in 2020 after having it in my stash for many many years. Here is a link to my build..      Hope it helps you. 

57 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Eric..the kit you are working on is a re-release of an early Aurora kit....circa 1965.  You certainly are going back to the roots of the hobby. Its a nice kit and very well detailed  for when it was originally released. You are off to a good start.  I finally finished mine in 2020 after having it in my stash for many many years. Here is a link to my build..      Hope it helps you. 

Rich, that helps a lot. I have a few things to correct but as you said in your post, I don't want to attempt to correct the flaws in the kit, just have fun with it.  I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt to paint the black stripes on either side of the orange stripe. While a lot can go wrong,  it would surely look better. If I can make my build 10% as nice as yours I will be happy. 

10 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Enjoy the build.  There quite a few street legal original and SAFIR GT40’s out there that are still driven in races in Europe.  With the Superformance ones and other impressive recreation or tribute cars around it seems like I see at least one at every cars show I attend.  I did not attend SEMA but here is a picture from this year.

66B02E83-F39E-483A-ADBC-DCDD0FE3D7DA.jpeg

AEE0BF56-4E90-4915-ABBE-F898167588E5.png

8AF4879A-B5C0-467B-BC12-74762CEA907B.png

Those photos help a lot. Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Rich, that helps a lot. I have a few things to correct but as you said in your post, I don't want to attempt to correct the flaws in the kit, just have fun with it.  I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt to paint the black stripes on either side of the orange stripe. While a lot can go wrong,  it would surely look better. If I can make my build 10% as nice as yours I will be happy. 

Eric...don't try to paint that black stripe.  Lay some black vinyl tape (3M makes it) on a piece of glass. Use a thin metal straight edge, a nice sharp knife and cut the stripe. You may have to make several cuts to get the width you want. Then lay it on the model and cut with new xacto blade. It can be moved if necessary and is very easy to do. Practically fool proof and way quicker than painting. I have done this on all my models where a thin pinstripe is necessary.

7 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Eric...don't try to paint that black stripe.  Lay some black vinyl tape (3M makes it) on a piece of glass. Use a thin metal straight edge, a nice sharp knife and cut the stripe. You may have to make several cuts to get the width you want. Then lay it on the model and cut with new xacto blade. It can be moved if necessary and is very easy to do. Practically fool proof and way quicker than painting. I have done this on all my models where a thin pinstripe is necessary.

I will give that a try. Great idea!