Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Trebuchet Wooden Model: WIP

Hello Everybody!

Though I tend to focus mainly on cars, my building interests are wide and varied. If I see something that appeals to me, I'll probably build it. 

Ancient siege engines definitely fit that bill.

I found this model through an ad on FaceBook. I did a little research on the company and its products and found satisfactory results for both so I ordered their Super Trebuchet. I meant to order the Weighted Trebuchet and I just wasn't paying attention and goofed up my order.

I realized my error as soon as I clicked the "submit" button (of course) and immediately sent a request to cancel my order through both their online dialog interface and standard email. That was a Friday and I received a response on the following Monday. Unfortunately, the order had already shipped. And though they couldn't cancel my order, they apologetically told me that I could return it for full credit. They also provided me with a code for a 10% discount on my next order for my inconvenience.

Obviously I decided to keep it.

I placed the order on November 19th and received it on December 3rd, two weeks delivery time is pretty good.

I'm sharing this little story because I feel that it is something I would want to know if I were to consider placing an order.

The Unboxing:

Quality packaging! The box is nicely printed on all sides with images, descriptions and diagrams. I'd be proud to give this to someone as a gift.

.SuprTreb_01.jpg.d37dcd7f86fe903eda7c005073330df9.jpg

No problems here! Appropriately packaged to prevent any shipping damage, obvious great care taken. Color me impressed!

.SuprTreb_02.jpg.a08d95a958f8a7b8a8f70c84e43b3294.jpg

And of course, instructions. Complete with parts list and a brief history of the engine.

.SuprTreb_03.jpg.5caefce9b6200b11356d2ba2b88a76df.jpg

All panels are cleanly laser cut and so far, the parts seem to be easy to remove without causing damage.

.SuprTreb_04.jpg.12c29ef48122b2527c7e8f820ecd8731.jpg

I'm not sure of the species of wood but it smells good and seems to be of high quality with nice grain.

.SuprTreb_05.jpg.62a6ce33cd4df1f50e04758cbea82fc1.jpg

Several of the more complex looking pieces are bundled together in what I presume is sequence of assembly. I'm sure this also facilitates packing for shipping too. They even included a piece of sandpaper for deburring the parts.

.SuprTreb_06.jpg.2b7c671b5b47a8f12507f7b9cc6aa2c2.jpg

I'd have to say that overall, I'm extremely impressed with the company and its product. We'll see how the assembly goes but at this point, I have no regrets.

Here is a link to the company's product page: ToysTub Super Trebuchet.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Until next time,

David G.

Edited by David G.

Hello Everybody!

The first assembly step is building the side rails. The directions don't call for gluing these but even when mated to the platform pieces, there is no positive connection that holds them together. There is no adhesive included in the kit so I'll be using Zap Canopy Glue Formula 560. Any of the thicker PVA based adhesives should work as well.

.SuprTreb_07.jpg.45258db342d99679152f76230787e81e.jpg

If you should decide to glue these together, be mindful when gluing the axle grommets to the rails. The rails definitely have a left side and right side. Or inside and outside depending on how you want to regard them. I almost got caught on this one!

.SuprTreb_08.jpg.e969c1838a966cfc82f28a211a75cbd5.jpg

I also glued the lower deck and the rails together and set them to cure. After about half an hour, I decided to check on the assembly and found that it had developed a twist of about 1/8 of an inch. I didn't get a photo of the twist because my mind went into panic mode and immediately locked on fixing the problem. 

.SuprTreb_10.jpg.e87cea3427575b4a76cbe00ec794c7cd.jpg

I sprayed the chassis... deck?... hull?.. superstructure?... with a light misting of water, shimmed up the contacting wheels, applied some weight and waited overnight.

That took care of it.

.SuprTreb_11.jpg.d6c18855351dbaf1c0dad06c4fdf3c0b.jpg

Here's one quick bonus tip:

To symmetrically align the spokes on the sides of the wheels during assembly, align the attachment points that held them to the frame.

.SuprTreb_09.jpg.d80ed58478ec5890d645886a42515877.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.

Hello Everybody!

Just a quick update on the Super Trebuchet.

Wheels Down!

2021_12_12_1097.thumb.JPG.9d694fe0facc2b70acfd6fe8f7b96a1d.JPG

The directions called for the wheels to be glued directly to the axles. Unfortunately, there was too much space between the wheels and axle shafts for any type of adhesive to bond properly so I secured the wheels in a more prototypical fashion. With linchpins!

2021_12_12_1098.thumb.JPG.8f7d185b50e5d3ed8cfcd6d492cb05fb.JPG

I drilled the axle shafts (5/64" I think) then trimmed wooden toothpicks to an appropriate length and inserted them. And since they're held in place by friction, there's no need for glue!

I think this looks better too.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to offer any comments or suggestions.

David G.

20 hours ago, ksnow said:

Looking awesome. I love trebuchet models. They are fun to build and fun to play with. Its quite amazing how far they can hurl a projectile.

Thanks Kyle, I'm a fan of them myself. I'm really curious to see how far this one can throw.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

In getting ready to assemble the main deck, I discovered more warpage. This makes two of the two main structure pieces that have had a significant warp. As this is really the first wooden model I've built, I don't know if this is unusual or just the nature of the beast. 

.SuprTreb_14.jpg.745b82ae955a481ddc1b56887e1b81c6.jpg

I was able to "weight it out"... for the most part.

.SuprTreb_15.jpg.0849322388858f604cf21c7cb8ed81be.jpg

The main frame uprights were composed of four parts per side and were assembled lamination style. Thankfully, they were straight and mostly square with the deck when assembled. I think there will be enough flexibility to allow for some tweaking if it needs to be trued up as assembly proceeds.

.SuprTreb_16.jpg.de58d7ac63368592ad125b8c1c83f3ca.jpg

And still, the warp. 😕 

The wide tolerances of the design seem to allow for some variation so I don't think it will be much of a problem.

.SuprTreb_17.jpg.b5cac6c5ef6b33cdad52f1a9e633579b.jpg

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Here's the next bit of advancement on the Trebuchet.

The winch assembly with its ratchet and pawl is complete.

.SuprTreb_19.jpg.e1edd63f904641a911dc2f222f6b4e00.jpg

I also added the support gussets, which are mostly cosmetic. But they do add some visual interest to the model.

.SuprTreb_18.jpg.a470e47ab36516aa853ae569ea0a4546.jpg

Thanks for stopping by for a visit, always feel free to comment.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

The building work on this one is complete! All I have to do now is run the rigging and add the finishing touches... and get some photos.

.SuprTreb_22.jpg.32ae1695fa9c8ba73d19aa074650b625.jpg

I'll have to find an alternate location for the completion photos. This machine is just a little too big for my picture box.

David G.

21 hours ago, TonyK said:

Interesting subject and it appears you're having fun with it. Surprised you didn't use wood glue. Is there a reason?

Thanks Tony.

I didn't use wood glue because I didn't have any. I think wood glue is mostly PVA with wood fiber and a few other things added.

What I did use actually worked quite well.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to Super Trebuchet Wooden Model: WIP