Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 541

It is only a few days until christmas so here is the new quiz

The rules for the Autoquiz and One-Off Build Quiz  are

• No answers allow in the ongoing Auto quiz thread
  • No comments  in the ongoing Auto quiz thread that give any clues or suggestion to the car in question
  • A PM must be sent to the one who has started the ongoing thread 
  • The PM must contain Year of production, Manufacturer and Type
  • In case of violating the rules  the quiz will closed immediately and no winners will be announced
  • So please stick with the rules and don't ignore them. 

Auotquiz 541.jpg

Some said that was an easy one, but there where a few answer that were only 50% correct. All of you said that this car is a Fiat Dino, that was the easy part. But what year is it. Some said 1966 - 1973 which wasn't 100% correct.  Let's solve this. From 1066 - 1969 fiat build the Dino with a  2.0l  V6 engine, leaf spring mounted live axle, silver grill and Fiat Badge in the grill. From spring 1969 the engine was change to a 2.4l V6 and the IRS from the Fiat 130, different taillights, black grill and FIAT on the hood. The only visible changes were the color of the grill and the badge location. Bertone  was responsible for the design of the Coupe while the Spider was designed by Pininfarina.

So it seems that it wasn't that easy.  So will also give credits to those who had sent me the too long building time of the Fiat Dino

100% correct answer were sent in by

gbtr6

sjordan2

MrObsessive

Ace-Garageguy

VW93

thatz4u

Pete J.

dw1603

matthijsgrit

DonW

Credits for Make and Type correct

ChrisR

Earl Marischal

Bainford

Matt Bacon

Bucky

otherunicorn

Congratulation to all participants

From 1995 to 2004, I lived above what used to be a Fiat (formerly Studebaker) dealership and garage. Back in the mid to late '90's when the garage was still functional, there was one of these that would occasionally be in the garage to be worked on. It was a coupe like shown here, but I REALLY liked the Spider version so much better. To my eyes, the convertible was so much sexier looking with nicer bodywork.

I don't know who owned the car, but it must have been someone local for it to show up to be worked on like it was. I'd love to have a kit of either the coupe or the Spider. They were technically interesting cars and you certainly don't see these turn up often at any shows.

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

From 1995 to 2004, I lived above what used to be a Fiat (formerly Studebaker) dealership and garage. Back in the mid to late '90's when the garage was still functional, there was one of these that would occasionally be in the garage to be worked on. It was a coupe like shown here, but I REALLY liked the Spider version so much better. To my eyes, the convertible was so much sexier looking with nicer bodywork.

I don't know who owned the car, but it must have been someone local for it to show up to be worked on like it was. I'd love to have a kit of either the coupe or the Spider. They were technically interesting cars and you certainly don't see these turn up often at any shows.

Bill,

I agree the Spider looks much better

15 hours ago, otherunicorn said:

I think the issue stems from Wikipedia, where that exact photo has the following written under it:

Manufacturer Fiat
Production 1966–1973
Assembly Rivalta, Turin (1966–69)
Maranello, Modena (1969–73)
Designer Filippo Sapino at Pininfarina (Spider)
Giorgetto Giugiaro at Bertone (Coupé)[1]

If you click on the Wikipedia photo, it takes you to the original source, which identifies it as a 1968 model. Pull up "more details"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Dino#/media/File:Fiat_Dino_reg_1968_1987_cc.JPG