Model Cars Magazine Forum

Weathered CF Freight Shaker

I really like what you have come up with here!! I like the weathering! I remember these trucks always looked rough, probably because they rarely stopped. I knew a guy who retired from CF and he had a little cart about the size of a battery charger that had his CB and his AM/FM radio mounted in it and his antenna was welded to a pair of vice grips. When he would come in to the terminal, often times another driver was there to take the truck on another run. So all of his personal radios were set up like this for quick hook up and unhook. The trucks kept running. Excellent work on this one! I don’t think that the sleeper cabs were as common as the daycabs, which makes this one even cooler. 

15 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Not an easy kit however you’ve made a clean assembly !!👍 It is very dirty, would it have plowed the field ? 😉

The truck is home based in Portland. The terminal and drop yards were mostly dirt in this time period. As a driver, I have seen many drop yards that were still dirt and mud, especially during the spring. That is what I modeled the truck to represent. 

6 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I really like what you have come up with here!! I like the weathering! I remember these trucks always looked rough, probably because they rarely stopped. I knew a guy who retired from CF and he had a little cart about the size of a battery charger that had his CB and his AM/FM radio mounted in it and his antenna was welded to a pair of vice grips. When he would come in to the terminal, often times another driver was there to take the truck on another run. So all of his personal radios were set up like this for quick hook up and unhook. The trucks kept running. Excellent work on this one! I don’t think that the sleeper cabs were as common as the daycabs, which makes this one even cooler. 

Thanks Brian. You are correct, the line haul trucks never stopped running. Always turning and burning. I built the truck ad a sleeper truck based in Portland. I could envision runs into BC and back.