Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cummins NTA 370 question - AMT K-123 kit

couple thoughts -

Is the shop manual KW or Cummins?

May want to check engine/fuel filter fit in the chassis.  KW may have had a specific engine spec with filters on the aftercooler to fit with something else.  The fuel filter location or plumbing in the shop manual location might interfere with the steering shaft or something else on the firewall.

Thanks for that --  it's actually from a Cummins service manual.

This is for the K-123 cabover, so I'm not sure what it may interfere with -- but yes, definitely something to check before moving it.  I was hoping someone who had built this kit could share what they had done.  I'll keep looking as well to see if I can locate a KW service manual.

cummins_NTA-370_side_view_parts_manual.png

That is very good looking engine detailing.

NTA is the engine model, 370 is the nominal horsepower, 855 (cubic inches) is the engine displacement (14 liters)

Cummins built these engines for decades for several applications - HD truck, marine, industrial equipment, generators... each will have their own specification with unique configuration and equipment.  Same for the manufacturers that installed the engines.

If you will notice the dual fuel filter set up is just mounted to a plate that could be  mounted most anywhere, sometimes even the frame. Most of the old cabover KWs that I find reference pictures for don’t have any filters in this area, so most likely they were mounted low enough to be hidden by the frame.

29436C5D-0729-48F7-8FA2-9DAA4EC9D68D.png.d7c8d4d38867bcb11049903deda2c45f.png

You could always do like I did on the last two of these that I built and put a Detroit in it.😀

On 12/28/2021 at 8:16 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

If you will notice the dual fuel filter set up is just mounted to a plate that could be  mounted most anywhere, sometimes even the frame. Most of the old cabover KWs that I find reference pictures for don’t have any filters in this area, so most likely they were mounted low enough to be hidden by the frame.

29436C5D-0729-48F7-8FA2-9DAA4EC9D68D.png.d7c8d4d38867bcb11049903deda2c45f.png

You could always do like I did on the last two of these that I built and put a Detroit in it.😀

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I haven't had much luck in finding pictures of 1:1 KW cabovers where you could see the left side of the engine clearly.

From everything I've been told, the one place the fuel filters would NOT be mounted is on the side of the aftercooler (as the AMT instructions show).

Thanks