Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Sedan

ybsluos

Hi friends.  This is my first time posting pictures of one of my builds.  My apologies for poor quality pictures.  I got this as a built up from a friend.  It is the AMT 32 Sedan from the vintage kit including the Willys.  It was painted matte red and had the decal on the roof.  Those familiar with the kit will recall the side pipes which ran across the doors.  I remove them and found that the glue had melted into the body and I wanted to clean that up and re-scribe the door lines. I wanted to keep the original red paint so I decided to tape the car off and paint some of it matte black.  
I scratchbuilt a simple roll bar and added seat belts.  The gas tank is polished aluminum tube with actual .22 shell casings epoxied into the ends.  I made windows from acetate brush painted Tamiya Transparent  yellow on the insides.  
The SOHC 427 is an AMT 33 Willys piece from my parts box with MPC Dominator carbs and velocity stacks from a Monogram street machine kit(not sure which one).  
The chassis is grossly simplified and would never really work in 1:1.  I had an assembled Tom Daniel T’Rantula front tire/wheel combo and the suspension from another friend and when I mocked it up it set at the desired stance so on it went, functionality be darned!  I made a belly pan of sorts to cover the rear half of the chassis so there is no rear suspension.  

I wanted a surfboard but did not wish to permanently block the Witch Doctor decal.  I scratched a quick and dirty rack made with brass rod and U channel styrene so that the board may be slid in and out of the rack.

Lastly I painted the lettering on the doors and surfboard with heavily thinned acrylic craft store white.  I am no artist so I will tell you the blob between the words on the surfboard are supposed to be crossed bones!  Aarrgghh!  I scratched the whole car and board with an X-Acto to beat it up a bit.

I cut lots of corners on this one but working a lot of hours in retail over XMas did not leave much building time.  I wanted to finish something before the end of the year though so corner cutting it was.  Considering that it was not meant to be super detailed, was meant to use parts up from my junk boxes, most of it came to me dirt cheap from my buddies, and that a vintage build was able to live on with much more horsepower I am happy with it.  It was a blast to build a more relaxed project.  It’s got some silly aspects but I hope you guys like it.  Cheers-Mark

36F60875-CEBB-41AF-A22A-60C23DE96241.jpeg

21E0CFA9-A931-45DE-B750-850B9672FCBE.jpeg

83FE745F-97B2-43B4-A5F0-81BFFBCBA8C3.jpeg

49AC75E8-0608-437A-8173-0573E0C83B37.jpeg

5D7222A2-63B4-4351-A350-02DC2E98A986.jpeg

BF453711-963E-4DED-B7D4-E0FE55A857AA.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

That's a cool combination of cool parts! Nice!

Thank you Oliver.  I love your builds too!
 I used to live a few hours south of you in Boblingen from 1985-1987.  I miss Germany and hope to visit there again someday.-Mark