Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fourth completion of the year. On a roll now. Started this one right from the beginning.   1/24 Revell BMW M3 that raced in the DTM series in 2012 and driven by Martin Tomczyk. Car is painted in Tamiya  TS-26  white and lots of different shades of black . Kit is mostly box stock with a few additions like wring the boxes in the cockpit.  Can't say this was the easiest kit, there a few problems but it is done and I am satisfied.  See picture captions for the details. Thanks for looking and comments as always, welcome.

DSC07517.JPG.79a47c711e75c9f5e5f85f2524278a74.JPG

There was a tone of detail in the interior. Body covers most of it so I took a pictute. Roll bar was kinda worrisome. 

DSC07518.JPG.87bf13ca129f8ca50159e59d1514e8d0.JPG

Body all fitted. What a chore getting past this step. Everything fit if you squeezed hard enough.  I wanted  it removable but it had to be glued. There is an engine but not much would have been visible even with the front clip off. 

DSC07520.JPG.d338977095b781a2844259a045fc1eaf.JPG

Car done and decaled. There were lots of em.  Hood air out let was the most difficult but these decals responded well to solvent and heat. You can even read the fine script  (with seeing eye devices...of course) 

DSC07521.JPG.bf645bf7a20d531923f395dca013fa13.JPG

Body fit in the back was not as good  as expected.  It fit when there was no interior. The wing is all carbon fibre ands attached easily..not always the case. 

DSC07522.JPG.9e5d37acc94659381276fa4cc7ef9ad8.JPG

Side view show how low to the ground these cars are. Wheels steer but barely. 

DSC07523.JPG.9ac4e7a4d860b7980cc25856af2f7106.JPG

This is a view you would probably not want to see in your mirror if you were racing.   Decals and winglets look complicated  but if you were careful all went together well. Thanks again for looking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silver Foxx said:

A great looking build , real nice decal work , well done .

Thank you , those decals took most of a day to do. 

2 hours ago, bbowser said:

Outstanding work!  First one of these I've seen built.  Thanks for sharing the build notes. 

Thank you Bruce, always a pleasure to share. 

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

Ohhhhh man, Rich, that thing is gorgeous!!!  You did such a nice job on it.  I have read that these are some ill fitting kits, or at least they can be.  Super nice, buddy!

Great prakse indeed,  thank you very much John.

1 hour ago, steveracer said:

Nice model I like it!  Never saw one built and was great to take photos of the interior before final assembly. 

I put as much work on the inside as I do on the outside. Be a pity not to be able to see it.  Thanks Steve

59 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Turned out really nice! Haven't seen one of these built before.

Dan...Revell also did an Audi A4 and a Mercedes  C-Klasse although from the 2009 season of DTM. I have one of each now but  I understand there were several variations of these kits. This is the only BMW to my knowledge. Thank for the compliment too. 

7 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thank you

5 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Great looking model of this racing machine in classic BMW motorsports works colors, Rich - I suppose applying the decals was a demanding part of the work.

These came in a variety of different sponsor liveries.

Helmut...BMW entered six cars for the 2012 season so I would imagine so.  i consider decals to be an artform all unto itself.  I have a lot of specialized tools for this job   including various strengths solvents.  Sometimes it is a pleasure to see a model come to life....and sometimes not so much. This one was a joy. 

4 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!!

Thank you Larry.

Very nice work! I've had the Bruno Spengler BMW on the bench for a couple of years as these kits are very detailed and time consuming. As you pointed out, so much is hidden once you've put everything together. We can enjoy your work from the photos though.

36 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Very nice work! I've had the Bruno Spengler BMW on the bench for a couple of years as these kits are very detailed and time consuming. As you pointed out, so much is hidden once you've put everything together. We can enjoy your work from the photos though.

Tony, a very good friend of mine encouraged me to document (as in, photograph) most of my work.  That was 15yrs ago. He was delighted to see anything I did. Sadly..he passed away this  Jan 3.  But if he enjoyed it,  so must others...so I continue. I sincerely hope this post is the incentive for you to finish yours. I have build notes if you need. I had a feeling Revell did this kit in other liveries.