Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Transtar 4300 Eagle

I also love this kit. I builds great for the most part. Decals are challenging just due to how they are routed over a contour. The sleeper also is a bit of an interesting challenge as you want to paint the parts separate and then assemble the sleeper, but I prefer to assemble it first and I do not think you can easily. 

Other than those 2 slight challenges, this kit goes together like Legos, very good quality and the fit is spot on. Typical kit of the ERTL era, excellent stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 12:52 PM, TruckerAL said:

Oldmopars is all correct. Great kit to do, but it does have it's challenges. I also noticed that the front axle needs to be narrowed, and moved forward slightly as well!

"Slightly" ??    LOL.   Quite a bit, actually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good choice for a build. When looking for inspiration, I look at original factory brochures.  Seeing a pattern on many 60's and 70's trucks, aluminum front wheels, steel rear wheels. Working on an original issue 4200, used Modeltruckin decals for the IH paint scheme and in the process of converting the spoke wheels to 10 hole aluminum fronts and eventually get 2 hole white steelies for rear.

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

• 8 months later...

RE:  "the sleeper assemble tried my patience."

Yeah I'd agree with that.  I've got mine sitting on a shelf not finished because I'm just not happy with the sleeper.  In order to get it to sit straight (vertically), it seems like you need to shim under it.  But then the "snorkel" doesn't want to line up with the rear cab window.  It seems really to get it to fit right, you'd need to modify the rear cab window so the "snorkel" fits and there are no gaps around it.

6 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

RE:  "the sleeper assemble tried my patience."

Yeah I'd agree with that.  I've got mine sitting on a shelf not finished because I'm just not happy with the sleeper.  In order to get it to sit straight (vertically), it seems like you need to shim under it.  But then the "snorkel" doesn't want to line up with the rear cab window.  It seems really to get it to fit right, you'd need to modify the rear cab window so the "snorkel" fits and there are no gaps around it.

I glued the sleeper to the cab, made sure they were square, then I attached them to the frame. I may have made a shim, but it has been a while.