Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 Adam 12 1Adam 12 see the man

TNT

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

IIRC, the MPC Coyote is based on their earlier Ford GT MkIV kit, and is as accurate as a typical Palmer kit.

The real TV car is based on a Manta Montage kit car, which is in turn based on molds pulled from a real McLaren M6GT.

Having progressed fairly deeply into scratchbashing an M6GT, I became quite familiar with the MPC Coyote kit.

McLaren M6GT, below

McLaren M6GT - Meet the McLaren F1's Dad - Exotic Car List

IIRC there was one in the real 'Gone in 60 Sec' film too......

17 hours ago, espo said:

I was also a Rockford Files fan. The thing that hit me at the time was that most of the TV Heros had the real high end rides and Rockford had the Pontiac Firebird, but instead of a TA he drove a base looking car. Course he was living in a trailer by the beach. Having lived in California I wonder what city/county would put up with that. 

Actually he did drive one that had the pontiac 400. And he did all his own driving. I had a uncle that was into building serious cars. He built a plain firebird with a factory 400. That thing was fast. He said he would dust corvettes. Took a friend and myself for a ride on the watterson. The first 3 gears fishtailing down the hiway reached over 140 and had to hit the brakes. Not sure what 4th was like. 

12 hours ago, TNT said:

Actually he did drive one that had the pontiac 400. And he did all his own driving. I had a uncle that was into building serious cars. He built a plain firebird with a factory 400. That thing was fast. He said he would dust corvettes. Took a friend and myself for a ride on the watterson. The first 3 gears fishtailing down the hiway reached over 140 and had to hit the brakes. Not sure what 4th was like. 

I recall a story about when he was in a movie about Formula 1 Racing and he was reported to have done his own driving in that movie as well. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I recall a story about when he was in a movie about Formula 1 Racing and he was reported to have done his own driving in that movie as well. 

That is what read also.

When I was a kid in the early 1970s, my dad was a big fan of the Sunday Night Mystery Movie that showed Columbo and McMillan & Wife on NBC and when that theme was played, he would say, "The weekend is over. School's back in session on Monday" I'm sure others remember going through that as well.

Edited by John M.

25 minutes ago, John M. said:

When I was a kid in the early 1970s, my dad was a big fan of the Sunday Night Mystery Movie that showed Columbo and McMillan & Wife on NBC and when that theme was played, he would say, "The weekend is over. School's back in session on Monday" I'm sure others remember going through that as well.

Indeed I do. I always liked the McCloud episodes best.