Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 Adam 12 1Adam 12 see the man

TNT

The younger ones may not know this show, their loss. But i love this show, besides taking me back to the 70s there is always a bunch of old rides in the scenes. The other day some druggie girl named sparky had about a 63 or 64 ford galaxie in a very light sky blue, i thought  " hey i have one or 2 of them". Show went off ran to basement started mixing some valejo colors. Sprayed a coat, too dark. Mixed in more white and spot on. But it came out splotchy. Never tried to smooth out veejo before but weill be finding out. But back to origjnal post. So many cars on that show. Mostly 60s and 70s, but they do show some 50s, 40s. 

• Like 1

Yes, many TV series from that time period will have street scenes featuring contemporary cars.  Series like Dragnet, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Mannix, Streets of SF, Police Woman, etc. For '80s and '90s there are Seinfeld, Heart to Heart, Perry Mason movies, Greatest American Hero, etc.

Highway Patrol was what got me stoked on the mid '50s heavy iron 2-doors I've been hunting down for a while, Perry Mason is to blame for an in-progress '57 Ford retractable, and Naked City sent me on a quest for early '60s Pontiacs.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

building Malloy's Matador now.......great show for cars......

MATMALLOY2.JPG

I have been wanting that kit forever. One year in middle school shop class was to build a model. I built tom daniels outcast. A buddy built the matador. I thought it was the ugliest car. But the guy built it and it looked good.  That one you are building is going to be cool as.... post them pics. Man you are lucky to find that funky ride. I am kind of jealous. 

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Yes, many TV series from that time period will have street scenes featuring contemporary cars.  Series like Dragnet, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Mannix, Streets of SF, Police Woman, etc. For '80s and '90s there are Seinfeld, Heart to Heart, Perry Mason movies, Greatest American Hero, etc.

Mannix had the serious rides. I think it was Barris who customized 2 or 3 of his cars. One was a model, not the one i wanted. I wanted his i think it was a dart convertible.

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

The shows that are from that era are great for watching or looking in the back ground.  Not bad shows but times have changed with television and it makes some older shows cheap or hokey to some. 

Lol. They do look hokey compared to shows today. Back my family was poor, i am not rich, we was lucky to have a 24 inch tv, we did get a color tv wooden floor model. Now we can watch on 75 in or bigger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Highway Patrol was what got me stoked on the mid '50s heavy iron 2-doors I've been hunting down for a while, Perry Mason is to blame for an in-progress '57 Ford retractable, and Naked City sent me on a quest for early '60s Pontiacs.   :D

Perry mason did have some cruisers. 

32 minutes ago, TNT said:

I have been wanting that kit forever. One year in middle school shop class was to build a model. I built tom daniels outcast. A buddy built the matador. I thought it was the ugliest car. But the guy built it and it looked good.  That one you are building is going to be cool as.... post them pics. Man you are lucky to find that funky ride. I am kind of jealous. 

So ugly I love her. I am 2nd owner of a 74 Matador coupe. Little old lady had it. 48K on it now!!!

MAT3-vi.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

So ugly I love her. I am 2nd owner of a 74 Matador coupe. Little old lady had it. 48K on it now!!!

MAT3-vi.jpg

Not as ugly as the pacer. But the matador is like the ugly duckling it is now a swan. I would drive it with a wide grin on my face. If my daughter did not take it. Not ugly unique now.  The hood is the coolest part to me. Probably not many survivors. Now i am jealous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNT said:

Lol. They do look hokey compared to shows today. Back my family was poor, i am not rich, we was lucky to have a 24 inch tv, we did get a color tv wooden floor model. Now we can watch on 75 in or bigger. 

We had a used color tv for a couple of years when Grandpa moved to Cali. So from 75 until 83 we had a 21 inch black and white at home that did sit on the old TV. I was one of 11 children. We were not rich cash wise, but we were rich with family then. 

4 hours ago, peteski said:

Watched all of them but greatest American hero with my dad. He died befor Seinfeld. He loved detective and police shows.  Don’t forget TJ Hooker and the Rockford Files friend…

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

As a kid I got to watch a lot of those old shows..... The old man enjoyed them. The one I always looked forward to watching was Hardcastle and McCormick! THE BEST looking hero car ever, in any series.......

coyote22.jpg.798061162d3d6e3478ef7a108b7a7696.jpg

TJ that show had an awesome theme song when it came on..

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

We had a used color tv for a couple of years when Grandpa moved to Cali. So from 75 until 83 we had a 21 inch black and white at home that did sit on the old TV. I was one of 11 children. We were not rich cash wise, but we were rich with family then. 

I had a step brother and 1/2 brother. for a long time we small black and white tvs. After my mom and step dad got their GEDs things got better. It was about 74, i was 11 when they bought a house then went in the army in 81. But we too was rich with family, step dad came from a big family. Times where better back then. We ran the streets, rode bikes all over. Had cousins living near. Mom had her shows and dad had his shows. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JollySipper said:

The one I always looked forward to watching was Hardcastle and McCormick! THE BEST looking hero car ever, in any series.......

The Porsche 6 in the rear helped justify its good looks as well. Judge Hardcastle’s GMC K1500 fenderside was pretty sweet too. 

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Watched all of them but greatest American hero with my dad. He died befor Seinfeld. He loved detective and police shows.  Don’t forget TJ Hooker and the Rockford Files friend…

TJ that show had an awesome theme song when it came on..

I was also a Rockford Files fan. The thing that hit me at the time was that most of the TV Heros had the real high end rides and Rockford had the Pontiac Firebird, but instead of a TA he drove a base looking car. Course he was living in a trailer by the beach. Having lived in California I wonder what city/county would put up with that. 

47 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Yes, they did! The Coyote kit isn't the greatest, though...

IIRC, the MPC Coyote is based on their earlier Ford GT MkIV kit, and is as accurate as a typical Palmer kit.

The real TV car is based on a Manta Montage kit car, which is in turn based on molds pulled from a real McLaren M6GT.

Having progressed fairly deeply into scratchbashing an M6GT, I became quite familiar with the MPC Coyote kit.

McLaren M6GT, below

McLaren M6GT - Meet the McLaren F1's Dad - Exotic Car List

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

I wish that the One-Adam 12 car had been kitted. Especially on of the rare AMC Cruisers. It would be nice to see an AMC 4 Door Sedan.

Maybe Moebius could do it?  But, not many options. I don't know if the wheelbase was the same for all models, or changed.

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

the MPC Coyote is based on their earlier Ford GT MkIV kit, and is as accurate as a typical Palmer kit.

The kit still had the Ford engine in it, if I remember right. I don't recall what engine the Coyote X had, but I do remember an "experimental gearbox"......

Best part about all those old TV shows is you get to see real old cars in their native habitats. No gussied up, chrome embellished, dazzling restorations there. Just unrestored, original gennies, folks!

Perfect for getting that "just right", period perfect patina.

And many of the shows, especially Jack Webb produced, had themes based on real life true stories. So there is some sense if authenticity to them.