Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magnifier 1/12 Ford GT 40

On 9/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, cobraman said:

The fit of this kit is fighting me . Could be me as much as the kit to be honest . I never have luck with opening body parts . I had to remove the pins that are supposed to let the front hinge . I had to remove them to get it to even fit this good ( bad ). Maybe the rear will fit better ?   

B44CAC58-FBA9-42DF-9AE7-2CA467CA575E.jpeg

B1A44FC3-C994-4DEA-A082-A1B8B67BFBA5.jpeg

A6BED369-001A-46F6-954C-8CAD5C6F4416.jpeg

It's not you, it's the kit. The panel contours and curvature just don't match. It's a shame to be faced with this after all the great work you put on this model.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, cobraman said:

So I bought these what I consider expensive resin seats for this car thinking that would be a nice detail . They come with these self stick metal rings to use as the grommets . I got 6 on in a half hour and they were not that straight ( my fault ). Anyway at 71 and fat fingers I gave it up . Seats will be just all black . Oh well I tried . 

D7D4D16F-6C69-4BF8-BEFD-C0C31EC010D3.jpeg

I was wondering if these grommets have through holes in the centers?  You probably tried this already.. but I would use a wire,nail, pin.. with a diameter appx the hole size of the grommet, as a guide.  Place the pin through the grommet, and slide the grommet up the pin.  Then place the pin in the seat hole.  Then use tweezers to slide the grommet on to the seat.  If the seats have already been installed, you might still be able to do this.

My second favorite auto. Cobras being my first. Looking very good. I know people seem to get all wrapped up in accuracy, and thats fine if you do contest models. Ray, I'm like you, just give me a model that I'm happy with, and that's fine. Your work always impresses, and this is no exception. Keep on building, I'll keep watching. Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenlwest said:

I was wondering if these grommets have through holes in the centers?  You probably tried this already.. but I would use a wire,nail, pin.. with a diameter appx the hole size of the grommet, as a guide.  Place the pin through the grommet, and slide the grommet up the pin.  Then place the pin in the seat hole.  Then use tweezers to slide the grommet on to the seat.  If the seats have already been installed, you might still be able to do this.

They have holes but look more like slugs than a grommet.  The center is too small.  I also bought these seats and like Ray am disappointed.  Not sure if I will find more realistic metal ones or just paint them on the seat.

Thanks guys. It was suggested a bit ago using a wire to set in the hole and send the grommet down the wire. I would have tried it but by then I had given up the idea of the grommets and just painted the seats. I sent the grommets off to a member that could use them . These seats were a 45 dollar waste of money IMO.  Maybe the kit was too ! 😄

Well , I’m beating this model or , is it beating me ?  Ya, it’s beating me . Try as I might I can not get the panels to fit any better . Oh , and forget about the front and rear hatch being attached and swinging open and close . Not at all happy but will push forward . Most left is the tire decals and body decals . The fun is not over yet !   If I wasn’t so stubborn I would have thrown in the towel . 

62FCFD34-8CCC-4243-B5B2-4A9244BB2A16.jpeg

399861A5-EBB9-414D-9E03-8C2B97CC17DF.jpeg

92E23E64-80E2-4443-B0AA-7626418BCA74.jpeg

C96D192D-F6B2-4E5E-ABEA-9A51A4A1D846.jpeg

• 2 months later...