Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for AMT 5-Spoke Early Mustang Wheels

spencer1984

Originally appearing in the "Sonny & Cher" Mustang kit, I think they (or something very similar) were used in later retoolings of the Mustang. I have one that is similar, and would like to get either three more like it or a full set of four that have the same basic look.

IMG_1390.thumb.JPG.3fb207bd8715b104e1249df7b801077e.JPG

On 8/15/2022 at 7:08 PM, spencer1984 said:

I think they (or something very similar) were used in later retoolings of the Mustang.

Pretty sure those are in the '66 Mustang; I'll take a look...and 2 hours later, I have nothing. That is going to drive me nuts, because I have seen, even held, a set of four wheels like that within the past week! I've been organizing some, and I really thought those were some I'd come across while rifling through the AMT 66 Mustang kit on my shelf. I remember them because I thought they looked out of place, and reminded me of a late model 'vette wheel, but smaller. They were not in that box, however, so now I'm stumped. I can now only narrow it down to a shiny needle in a chrome haystack. If they pop up, I'll PM you, you're more than welcome to them.

Edited by bisc63
correction

44 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Bill, I think the wheel you have may be from a Monogram kit. Kinda looks like it's from the '32 Ford Son Of Ford.

rdRoadsterSonOfFordMonogram002-vi.jpg.6301d19d73cec820a33499aaa30d8703.jpg  

they were in the 1966 ht / conv. Mustang annual kit # 6156 also Sonny & Cher kit. Rader DBR -990 wheels

Much appreciated, all!  I know there must be a couple of different kits that have similar wheels...I have the one I posted, a wider version (that one might be from the Son of Ford, no way it'd fit the old Mustang tires), one with a raised rib in the middle for the tire to fit over, plus a couple of undersized versions from the AMT ZZR kit.  I have a couple of "close enough" just in case (Rader DBR-100s would work in a pinch for this particular project), but if I could get something that looked like the originals it would be great.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 3:06 PM, Can-Con said:

What they actually are is Rader DBR 990s. 

Hot Rods - 60's 5 spoke wheel id? | The H.A.M.B.

There's a set in the Tajuana Taxi too.

With a catchy name like that, no wonder they never caught on. I think people have referred to them as "Starfish" wheels, too, and as mentioned, a few Monogram kits of Tom Daniel design included them: 

I think the consensus here when last discussed is the Sonny & Cher Mustang was the last to include them, as they were replaced by a different wheel and never seen again at AMT. The Monogram versions are more of a deep-dish, not-exactly-realistic for a street driven vehicle style, but the centers appear to be fairly true to the 1:1 wheel.

Pic from the old AMT studio via an AMT themed facebook page (Luc J or Dave Darby would know the details) showing one of these wheels, second from the left:

AMTFullSizeWheels-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey