Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willys Gasser Pickup

8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

As I'm sure you know James, been a few of these built here recently (including mine), I'll be watching and interested in  your take on it.

Thanks MIke. I know there is a problem with getting the front clip to sit right, but I'm not going to fuss with it much, just let it lay where it lands probably. And I put 41 in the title, that should be 40 Willys. 

On 8/21/2022 at 8:12 PM, bluestringer said:

Thanks MIke. I know there is a problem with getting the front clip to sit right, but I'm not going to fuss with it much, just let it lay where it lands probably. And I put 41 in the title, that should be 40 Willys. 

Well James, as I said when I posted pics of mine, my deciding to cut the hood portion off was a failure so I glued it all together and went curbside. 

As for it being a 40 and not 41, looking at stock pics of the two, you could say it's a '41 since it seems the '40 actually had a split grill and not one piece like the model.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:44 AM, Zippi said:

Nice project James. I modified the hood on mine to make it a one piece fenders.  

Thanks Bob.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:43 PM, TransAmMike said:

Well James, as I said when I posted pics of mine, my deciding to cut the hood portion off was a failure so I glued it all together and went curbside. 

As for it being a 40 and not 41, looking at stock pics of the two, you could say it's a '41 since it seems the '40 actually had a split grill and not one piece like the model.

Thanks Mike.

20 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks good James. As you may remember I like to use Future (I still have the original stuff) and in the pic it looks a bit dull. I find it takes several coats to get a deep shine if thats what you want.

Thanks Mike. Yea, I remember you saying you still use Future. I put it on this one with a brush pretty heavy, it does look better in person than in the picture. This kit is being a headache for me, some of it the kit's fault and some mine. After getting the engine in the frame and test fitting the hood the headers were hitting the inner fenders. Couldn't figure it out until I realized I had the headers mounted on the wrong sides. That was my fault, but the front shocks do not correctly line up with mounts, so had to work with them a while. Same thing with the rear end springs, they seemed to be warped. Also the front tie rod would not mount correctly. And I have not even addressed the front clip problem yet. LOL. 

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks Mike. Yea, I remember you saying you still use Future. I put it on this one with a brush pretty heavy, it does look better in person than in the picture. This kit is being a headache for me, some of it the kit's fault and some mine. After getting the engine in the frame and test fitting the hood the headers were hitting the inner fenders. Couldn't figure it out until I realized I had the headers mounted on the wrong sides. That was my fault, but the front shocks do not correctly line up with mounts, so had to work with them a while. Same thing with the rear end springs, they seemed to be warped. Also the front tie rod would not mount correctly. And I have not even addressed the front clip problem yet. LOL. 

Fun time huh Buddy.  I can't remember the issues I had other than my brilliant idea of cutting off the hood, but hey my 76 year old brain is a bit lacking now🙄😂

You'll get er done!!

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Fun time huh Buddy.  I can't remember the issues I had other than my brilliant idea of cutting off the hood, but hey my 76 year old brain is a bit lacking now🙄😂

You'll get er done!!

Thanks Mike.

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have built a couple of these and have more in my stash. If you can figure the front clip issue out, you will be considered a modeling genius.

I'm far from being a modeling genius, I'm not even close to most of the builders on here. Not going to take much time with trying to make it perfect, I'll do what I can to get it to sit better, but will probably just let it sit where it falls. 

About ready to put this one back in box. Nothing but problems. Spilled alcohol on top of the cab, of course it took the paint off. Already got decals on it, so not sure if I want to strip it and start over or just brush paint the spot. Nothing is staying glued, stuff is falling off every time I try to add another part, it's beginning to look like a glue bomb. The interior is not fitting right because the windshield is not fitting right. I don't know if it's me of I got a defected kit. 

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

About ready to put this one back in box. Nothing but problems. Spilled alcohol on top of the cab, of course it took the paint off. Already got decals on it, so not sure if I want to strip it and start over or just brush paint the spot. Nothing is staying glued, stuff is falling off every time I try to add another part, it's beginning to look like a glue bomb. The interior is not fitting right because the windshield is not fitting right. I don't know if it's me of I got a defected kit. 

Well shoot James. I had to re-paint mine after screwing it up. When I mess up or get frustrated and give up I seem to get right back to it. You can do it! 😄

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well shoot James. I had to re-paint mine after screwing it up. When I mess up or get frustrated and give up I seem to get right back to it. You can do it! 😄

I sanded the area a little then shot some color over it. It looks ok, but if you look close you can tell it was redone. I mocked up everything and it's a mess. I have about a 1/2 inch gap between the hood and the cab. Not sure why it's not fitting right, but something is way off. Also the metal axles are too short and the wheels will not even go on them, plus the rear tires are too big for the wheels, lots of slop in them.  I don't know what is going on with this kit, I don't remember others having these problems with it.  I'll keep plugging away at it. I need to take some photos. 

If you don't mind a little input the Headers go on last! I built one and I remember my buddy did one in the early '70s and we both needed to remove them during the build and install them last as they never lined up properly during the frame to body attachment.

I also needed to put a lot of camber in the front axle to get the front tires centered in the wheel wells.

Just an FYI you can take or leave. Good luck, I like what you're doing with it! Hope you get the issues worked out! 👍

Edited by Raoul Ross

18 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

If you don't mind a little input the Headers go on last! I built one and I remember my buddy did one in the early '70s and we both needed to remove them during the build and install them last as they never lined up properly during the frame to body attachment.

I also needed to put a lot of camber in the front axle to get the front tires centered in the wheel wells.

Just an FYI you can take or leave. Good luck, I like what you're doing with it! Hope you get the issues worked out! 👍

Thanks. I had put the headers on the wrong sides, once I swapped them it was ok.