Model Cars Magazine Forum

JaysResinWheels

I have to give a big shout out to Jay at jaysresinwheels. I found them one day while cruising ebay. I bought a set of his Raceline Manhattans for my 67 Coupe DeVille. I loved the wheels but the deep offset wasn't the flavor I wanted.

I contacted Jay to see if he had a "stock" version of the Manhattans which he didn't but by the next day I was able to purchase a set he just whipped up.

It was a great customer service experience, a nice, clean product and a really nice price.

On the left is the deep offset, the middle is the style I was looking for, and the right is after a little paint and BMF.

IMG_20220827_193225748.thumb.jpg.aacb1381193cee25154980a8b6acd68f.jpg

A mock up on the 67

IMG_20220814_141406868.thumb.jpg.3339f8c44f2d0f1b1a06678ce66b073f.jpg

The 1:1 

xo-gallery-2-1589241725119_500x.jpeg.6289ffa658584254bbd00d0d624716e5.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, Can-Con said:

Neat. But you need a good friend with his own printer.

These didn't cost me a cent. 😉

He's working on a Buick flavored custom set now for a '68 Riviera that I'll be starting on soon. 

IMG 3413

What I could do with a few sets of those Cragar-ish big and littles 🤤🤤

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 6:57 PM, Can-Con said:

Neat. But you need a good friend with his own printer.

These didn't cost me a cent. 😉

He's working on a Buick flavored custom set now for a '68 Riviera that I'll be starting on soon. 

IMG 3413

Well you can't beat the price.

They look good. What size are the Manhattans and what tire will you use?

I don't have or know anyone who has a 3D printer so I'm subject to the vendors and JaysResin is one of the best.

17 minutes ago, Perspective Customs said:

Well you can't beat the price.

They look good. What size are the Manhattans and what tire will you use?

I don't have or know anyone who has a 3D printer so I'm subject to the vendors and JaysResin is one of the best.

The rims on them are 23 mm outside diameter so about 21/22 inch. Not sure on the tires yet. I have some Pegasus ones that fit well but aren't very thick. I have some thoughts though. Might even get him to print out a taller set of tires for them.

They were a gift and I didn't even know he was doing this for me I consider myself lucky to get them and have a good friend like that.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I am sure I will get flamed for this but I don't care as I am going to put this out there, do what you want with this information. Jay has been selling unlicensed copies of prints he doesn't have the rights to sell, both a designer and I have sent messages for him to cease and desist without a response. The prices are descent on wheels and his engines are definitely budget freindly but when you sell designs without permission that's not cool in my book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

So I am sure I will get flamed for this but I don't care as I am going to put this out there, do what you want with this information. Jay has been selling unlicensed copies of prints he doesn't have the rights to sell, both a designer and I have sent messages for him to cease and desist without a response. The prices are descent on wheels and his engines are definitely budget freindly but when you sell designs without permission that's not cool in my book.

I'm not cool with that either. Playing devil's advocate...I understand people feeling like they paid for an STL file so they "own" it, and that the labor/costs of printing/cleaning/curing creates a value-added product that they should be compensated for.

The modeling community benefits from affordable STL files being widely available, but it's subsidized by massive amounts of labor from passionate and skilled designers who have taken on significant overhead costs.

At some point, the goose will decide it's given the community enough free golden eggs and will stop laying them. Personally, I'm sitting on some files that I've spent too much time on to simply give away, and it doesn't feel great to be holding my own work hostage.

I hope you can work things out!

2 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I'm not cool with that either. Playing devil's advocate...I understand people feeling like they paid for an STL file so they "own" it, and that the labor/costs of printing/cleaning/curing creates a value-added product that they should be compensated for.

The modeling community benefits from affordable STL files being widely available, but it's subsidized by massive amounts of labor from passionate and skilled designers who have taken on significant overhead costs.

At some point, the goose will decide it's given the community enough free golden eggs and will stop laying them. Personally, I'm sitting on some files that I've spent too much time on to simply give away, and it doesn't feel great to be holding my own work hostage.

I hope you can work things out!

I am not the designer but I have an agreement with the designer. All of my files that are solely my designs I don't sell for personal use because if this issue, and the ones that I modify paid models I keep the mods mine as well. I will continue to do business as usual and if nothing else my quality and practices will keep me from worrying about it too much. But if a file is marked for personal use only that's what it is, even if it's not I try to make contact with the designer to establish what I am using it for.

Edited by Texas_3D_Customs