Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1962 Imperial Crown 4 door --restoration

rsmodels

I finished this one about a week ago. I'm not totally happy with how it turned out but at least I didn't have to build my NOS one (see photo).

The body required a lot of sanding and the trim on these wasn't too crisp or smooth even on a new unbuilt one.   I touched up the chrome with Molotow ink and used Bare Metal Foil on the trim. This model fought me hard on the foiling with the trim not being too crisp, and especially on adding all the black accents. The AMT 62 Imperials, by the way, are a pleasure to foil and add the accents to.  The paint on this one is Dark Bronze Metallic and the interior is burgundy and white. I kept the original whitewall decals on the tires, doing  a little touchup.  I  really like 4 door cars and have many, built and unbuilt.

Thanks for taking your time to look and I appreciate all comments and questions. I've really been blown away by all the kind comments I've received on the models I've posted before. I just started foiling my 60 Edsel yesterday so it will be coming along before too long.DSC01969.JPG.2dd207c0486323721a41da707e4d5f33.JPG   --Rich

DSC01909.JPG

DSC01920.JPG

DSC01931.JPG

DSC01934.JPG

DSC01956.JPG

DSC01996.JPG

DSC01992.JPG

DSC01989.JPG

DSC01971.JPG

DSC01964.JPG

DSC01958.JPG

DSC01748.JPG

DSC01753.JPG

DSC01794.JPG

DSC02033 (2).JPG

DSC02034.JPG

DSC01972.JPG

DSC01976.JPG

DSC01980.JPG

DSC01983.JPG

DSC01986.JPG

DSC01997 (2).JPG

DSC01997 (3).JPG

DSC02005 (2).JPG

DSC02007 (2).JPG

DSC02008.JPG

DSC02027.JPG

DSC02032.JPG

DSC01997.JPG

• Like 6

Wow Rich, this one's a looker. I am so glad that you build these old models to this level of realism. These were designed to be build, not left in a box. But I am also glad that back then, some had the vision that these models would become rare so they kept them in the boxes. Thanks for sharing these little treasures. Great paint job and photography BTW.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, Kah puts said:

What's not to be happy with, she's a stunner, a modern classic beauty. You've blended the Molotow beautifully. And the photos are great. Bravo. 

Thank you Glen.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:41 PM, charger74 said:

Beautiful 👌🏻👌🏻

On 8/30/2022 at 10:23 PM, the goon said:

Looks great.

Mark

Thanks Eric and  Mark.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, espo said:

Looking at the finished model you would never know the issues you described. The paint looks great, and the trim all looks good as well. 

On 8/31/2022 at 1:47 PM, oldscool said:

Outstanding!

I appreciate your comments  David and Gerald.

Looking at the finished model you would never know the issues you described. The paint looks great, and the trim all looks good as well. 

Outstanding!

Outstanding!

On 8/31/2022 at 3:42 PM, happy grumpy said:

Wow Rich, this one's a looker. I am so glad that you build these old models to this level of realism. These were designed to be build, not left in a box. But I am also glad that back then, some had the vision that these models would become rare so they kept them in the boxes. Thanks for sharing these little treasures. Great paint job and photography BTW.

Thank you Mario.  As you know, I build mostly early original issue kits. I do a lot of restorations but use NOS kits from my stash when necessary (like the 59 Olds I'm building). I have 4-500 NOS unbuilt kits and also enjoy opening one once in a while just to look it over and enjoy the memories.

Another beautiful model! I’d be very pleased to have this one on my shelf. Your mild dissatisfaction with it is yours alone, but I guess that’s what keeps us striving for more on each model. Superbly finished and foiled, and you always nail the colour choices. 
I was surprised to see the separate clear headlight lenses Revell included in this kit-pretty advanced for the time.