Model Cars Magazine Forum

One very old build-51 Fleetline/956 GTP blend.

Scott Colmer

OK folks, this a very old build from at least 15 years ago. It was originally candy green, but the water based paint reacted poorly to the enamel undercoat. Now it's a nail polish mix. I am afraid it's in dire need of a rebuild to put it back to green and correct some of the rough spots and errors.

The idea was to blend the characteristics of both a Tamyia Porsche 956 and an AMT Fleetline. I used a Chevy Indy engine to keep it all chevy. This was a while ago, so I did not know better than to connect the moveable shock bracing to the roll cage. DOH! Definately some other issues too. But I think the design holds up.

I was inspired to bring this out by Dale's Road pig 51 Chevy. Another "blend" car. I don't know if it is bad form to drag out very old stuff, there are some great models I have seen in the little shots in the mags over the years that I would really like to see more of.

51Chevytopsidegood-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

There used to be tinted headlight covers. Looked a lot better like that.

URL=http://public.fotki.com/Scottcolmer/show_cars/51_chevy_3qtrfront_good.html]51Chevy3qtrfrontgood-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Panel lines? We don't need no stinkin' panel lines!

51Chevy3qtrbkgood-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki The fender guards were converted to exhaust exits. Probable not too effective. The Porsche turbos and coolers were retained. See that the shock bracing was firmly and solidly connected to the roll bar? If I knew then....

51Chevyengine-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hope you liked it.

Scott

Thanks guys for the kind words for an old dog. :angry:

Andy, some years ago I saw a great article about the first NNL. My favorite model was a Porsche 928 funny car with a flat 8. It looked like an killer morph car to me. Way ahead of it time. Is that yours? And would you be able to post pics?

The Model Martin stuff is killer too. FYI

Gotta bring more people to bring out those old killer builds that got just a little coverage.

Scott

Scott,

I happened across your photki a while back and I have had it saved for a while, I also learned a great technique on making rod ends for adjustable links from it. I remember seeing this car in SAE a long time ago and it def. had the look I liked even way back then, i'm happy to see it again. I've looked thru your album and have seen alot of things I've only seen in a pic without a name and its nice to know who's projects they are...we share alot of interests in engines and overall design of cars. Another person who has built some really cool models i'd like to see again is our own Jarius Watson...i remember some really cool "future rods" by him (the 2032 really hit a chord with me). Anyway feel free to post some more of these old obscure(to most modelers) builds.

Gray

Hey Gray,

Just went through your "bucket." We do share a lot in the ideas. So fun to take an older body and make a road killer. A lot of your unfinished stuff shows a good deal of promise. My favorite is the Porsche-A. That could be a real killer build.

I agree with you on the Jarious (sp?) builds. There was a good article on the 2032 in another mag, but it would fun to see it again. He also did a ford custom with a flip hood that was cool.

Lately, if I spot a builder on a site who has stuff I remember, I ask for a posting. I just got two of my favorites from Mike Turk. Both are the epitome of 80s Pro Street excess and are excellent builds. One is twin turbo/blown, chain drive Metro. The other is a four engine, four back tire Caddy. I captured the pics for my favorite builders album.

There is a Don Farni Stude I would really like to see. And just about everything by a Englishman named Terry Ross is on my list too.

Lets see what else crops up.

Scott

Scott,

I remember this one! Was it from some old Scale Auto, or even Modeler's Corner? It's a really cool idea, and the body panels work well together. Sleek and slippery, something much better looking than those Grand-Am cars. Happened to see the Rolex 24 Hours from Daytona, and those cars are soo ugly!

Andy, some years ago I saw a great article about the first NNL. My favorite model was a Porsche 928 funny car with a flat 8. It looked like an killer morph car to me. Way ahead of it time. Is that yours? And would you be able to post pics?

Ask and ye shall recieve! I will show one pic here and post the rest on a new thread. Thanks for asking.

928fc1-vi.jpg

• 7 years later...

....I don't know if it is bad form to drag out very old stuff, there are some great models I have seen in the little shots in the mags over the years that I would really like to see more of....

Luv the internet. In this evening's attempt to get my old magazines in some semblance of chronological order, I came across the June 1991 issue of [some other magazine] and its coverage of the NNL West. The post-it note I put on the cover years ago says "51 Chev IMSA racer pg 61", which I remembered was a pic of one of the cleverest mix 'n match models I've ever seen. But it was just the one shot with the engine cover off, and I always wondered how it looked with the cover on. So, I do a google search of Scott's name, "51 Chevy", "model car", and voilà .....

No bad form there at all in providing more photos than what appears in old magazines.

Wow. Thanks for the kind words.

It was a conversation with Mark Townsend that got me inspired to try radical customizing with the 51. I was asking him about one of his amazing models and he described his process as this, " I just hold body parts up to what I have so far and see if looks good. If it does I stick it on." Brilliant. I also tried his soldiering iron technique of bonding plastic panels. It worked OK for me. Now I prefer liquid cement.

I have a couple more un-posted photos and I one fairly low quality photo of when it was green, which I liked much better and the nail polish mix. I'll post them later this week. The model is packed away right now. Someday I'll correct the errors and bring it back to the original green. 

I always enjoy seeing some of those pre-internet magazine cars show up. Earlier in this thread, I've mentioned a few I look for. Russell should have a couple fun ones as well. 

Scott

Morph Cars, eh? I've always felt that this sort of creative freedom is a part of the car modeling tradition that distinguishes it from most other forms of modeling. As a late arrival to the modeling revival I missed this tuff the first time around, but it's what I always like so much about your work, Scott. I'd love to see more in this style. These cars are Too Cool! I remember an IMSA ground effects style '30 Ford Sedan from a few years back here on the MCM .forum, in red-orange if I recall, It was a stunner. Full side pods and everything, and it really worked aesthetically. Can't remember who built it, but they had done a whole series of older bodies as road racers. I hope you finish your narrowed LSR 'Vette some day...

Edited by Bernard Kron

I know the one you were thinking of, Bernard. It was by our member, Fordsixty.  I found it in a search, but I can't pull it forward.

He has done a 53 chevy he called road pig and a 61 Impala in the same genera. His stuff is so cool and fun to look at. The A still have the little 4 banner with forced induction. So neat!

I know the one you were thinking of, Bernard. It was by our member, Fordsixty.  I found it in a search, but I can't pull it forward.

He has done a 53 chevy he called road pig and a 61 Impala in the same genera. His stuff is so cool and fun to look at. The A still have the little 4 banner with forced induction. So neat!

Here's a link to his Under Glass on fordsixty's '31 Model A LMP Car: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/18723-31-model-a-lmp2/

Here's what it looks like - hard to forget!

DSC00671.jpgDSC00674.jpgDSC00687.jpg

And here's his "'53 Grand Sport Sedan" - equally impressive (see http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/18073-53-grand-sport-sedan/ ) :

DSC00664.jpgDSC00662.jpgDSC00667.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Wow! Glad I unleashed an additional small torrent of mix 'n match racer angle. Speaking of fordsixty, I think I saw his '53 Chevy here or elsewhere, but not the '31 Ford. Now, are my search skills failing me, or did he have just the one pair of pics of his Chevy C10 (or whatever that is) dually racer, here? If so, that's one we need more pics of.