Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dollar strength vs. The yen

Right now the dollar is pounding foreign currencies. Look at HLJ or Plaza Japan. Prices are far cheaper than.anywhere else. Yes shipping is higher, but with what you save price wise, it isn't so bad. Bought some stuff from Plaza a couple weeks ago. Nice price, and quick shipping. I know this can't last forever, so I buy while I can , at these prices.

Edited by Racephoto1
Spelling.

Someone on the HAMB mentioned in a thread about the Hershey swap meet, that fewer Europeans would be coming over this year because of the economy over there.  I checked and found the dollar virtually on par with the euro.  For the longest time, it seemed a euro was worth about $1.60-$1.65, that seems to have changed for the moment.  

Yes i LOVE plaza japan.  There prices have been cheap for a long long time.  Shipping is high, but it's worth it in the end.  So many kits I've bought for $15-$20 that you would pay $60 and up for in the states. There packaging is great, and you get cool little gifts from them too.  My last order from them was about $300. If i would of found and bought every kit amongst other things in the states that i got from them it would of been way way more.  Example tamiya tape from them less than $2, and in the states bout $6 lol 

Edited by Dpate

Of course, "strength" of the dollar is a misnomer, especially if you are looking at retirement plan statements lately... that's as far down that rabbit hole as I'm going to go, and please, don't nobody else go any further...

• Thanks 1

Not so good if you're in Canada. 

Some Tamiya kits are showing for about $18 CDN. That's great!

But one $18 Tamiya Porsche kit has a single shipping option for $49.

So almost $70 for a kit I can buy here for $40.

It's the same for HLJ, who I've used a lot in the past. Until shipping gets back to a more reasonable amount, I can't justify ordering from there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Not so good if you're in Canada. 

Some Tamiya kits are showing for about $18 CDN. That's great!

But one $18 Tamiya Porsche kit has a single shipping option for $49.

So almost $70 for a kit I can buy here for $40.

It's the same for HLJ, who I've used a lot in the past. Until shipping gets back to a more reasonable amount, I can't justify ordering from there. 

Yeah i do large orders from plaza japan because shipping amount on one kit is silly.  If I'm looking for just one kit than it'll be checking local shops or ebay.