Model Cars Magazine Forum

Watkins Glen Historic Weekend...Bugatti, Trans Am, lots more

This year I decided to go to The Glen for the weekend rather than just a day. I arrived Thursday and picked up my media credentials, which included walking through a tent full of Bugatti racers (took an hour to walk 100 feet). If you have never been to this event and you get the chance, go. I am already booked into the motel for next year :)  I toured the area a bit, Corning Museum, The Gorge, Seneca Lake, the usual. Friday morning at Smalley's Garage in the village (yes, Watkins Glen is a village), they have a ceremonial inspection of cars, most driven from the track. About noon, they close down the main street of the village and start with the driving tours. Mid-afternoon, the race cars start to appear, driven from the track about 5 miles away. Do you know what a Trans Am Camaro sounds like in a village? I do :)About 5PM, they fire them up and do 2 laps around the original circuit around the village. I stood on the road as they went my with my camera running a short video. Was it loud? Yup :) Did it smell of gas and oil and rubber? Yup :) Were my legs getting battered by exhaust? Yup :) Did I move off the road away from the cars? Nope :) Lots of people told me they only come for this part of the weekend, the cars parked on the street and then driving. You have to be there to get the full effect. Go straight to Watkins Glen, do not pass it up, take your friends, your family, your full senses, just go :) 

https://public.fotki.com/HowardCohen/watkins-glen-histor-1/

Sept 8 9  2022     0003.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     0163.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     0109.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     0145.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     0244.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     0899.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     1045.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     1276.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     1165.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     1366.JPG

Sept 8 9  2022     1473.JPG

Sept 11 2022     0112.JPG

I had planned to go this year but when Saleen pulled out I was disappointed as I really wanted to see all the Mustangs and maybe a S-7.  If I still lived in Virginia I would have gone anyway but since I am Miami now it’s a little more complicated travel wise.   I agree 100% it is a spectacular event and you are right about the race cars going by in the town is fantastic.

I hope to get to Sebring next year but there are so few hotels or places to stay anywhere near the track.  Glad you had a good time and the Historic’s are always a great event although it would be pretty hard to top the GT40 reunion I went to there in 1989.

Edited by vamach1

Thank you for sharing all your beautiful pictures. I like how you took pictures of some of the mechanical features of the cars. Seeing the natural beauty of the setting as well. I now feel as if I'm experiencing a little sensory overload.  

I was at this event myself for the first time & the Bugatti's were incredible.  The show downtown was similar to weekends at my home track-Road America.  They do 2 nights.  Friday is for race cars driven to town on public roads.  The second night is for street cars all at Seibkens resort & the Osthoff.  The Glen was always a bucket list thing for me & I finally did it.  Maybe Mid Ohio next.