Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to get 36AWG wire

Hi all,

Anyone know where to get 36AWG wire for detailing? I am looking for something like this except in 36AWG or similar tiny size. No hits on Amazon or EBay. I know Detail Master has individual colors in 2 ft sections, but was hoping to get a lifetime supply variety pack for reasonable price.

Thanks

Theo

image.png

Very small indeed considering most UTP cabling (Cat3/5/6/phone cable et al) is around 23 or 24 AWG. 36AWG would be more like small electric motor armature wire like slot car motors, that's what I'm finding in a Duck-Duck-Go search.

Edited by Raoul Ross

6 hours ago, roadhawg said:

I just ordered some of this in black and red.

Coming from China, so we'll see how it all goes.

Steve

Be careful.  The AWG rating refers to the size of the conductor not the outside diameter.  I have found the same AWG rated wire in three different outside diameters.  If you are looking for true scale then you want .25 mm outside diameter for 1/4 inch plug wires and .40 mm for 3/8 high tension wire but again look at the outside diameter not the AWG number

I got some .38 mm outside diameter wire on eBay.  Many colors to pick from.  $5.00 plus shipping for 10 meters (over30 feet) of wire.   In 1/24 scale that is almost exactly 3/8 of an inch in scale.  I use this size for HEI ignition wires

• Like 1

For .25 mm wire search for

10 meters 7/0.05 ultra slim Dia. 0.28mm 0.011" super thin cable Wires Red

again many colors and also $5.00 plus shipping for 10 meters of wire.  In 1/24 scale this is 1/4 inch in scale.   I use this for standard ignition wires9ACCFF3E-10DD-43F4-BAD5-00868749B182.jpeg.9e085f2cab9b67f52d0cfd244977d2ee.jpeg

Here are some different sizes.  The red wire on the hei distributor is .4 mm and scales to 3/8 inch in 1/24 scale.   The yellow is .25 mm. And represents 1/4 inch plug wire   The blue wire is a half mm and scales out to a half inch in 1/24 scale   This is the size most detail vendors sell for plug wire      I think it is just too big

A6C393EF-2C6E-42F7-B675-DAE132018A8E.thumb.jpeg.3c51fd21ae34c34c536b5e3324a45640.jpeg

Edited by Jiml0001
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, I just received my package from eBay (China)

A couple of packages of the 36 AWG that Theo was asking about, and that Tommy Logan had posted a link for.

I'm happy with it.

Should work great for small details.

The photo shows the 36 AWG wire next to a piece of 30 AWG "wrapping wire", which is close to the size that most would use for plug wires.

image.jpeg.f5e62f8457a0b2360b5c363e120a7cf7.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 3:46 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Has anyone ever used phone wire with the insulation stripped off and bits of the insulation used as the boots? Painted of course. 

I used the insulation off the orange wire from this cat 5 cable for plug boots, and 30 gage wrapping wire for plug wires.

66A7FFA4-5280-4CE2-8E7D-FDC3FBBFE453.jpeg

• Like 1