Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1980 Ford Bronco Reissue.

martinfan5

4 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I don't like the three piece roof it has. No way to join it, smooth it and keep the texture. Plus, the joints are in the smallest places on the roof sides. Monogram made it in a single piece. Don't know why MPC couldn't. 

I don't get that, either. "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" kind of thing. 

18 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I don't like the three piece roof it has. No way to join it, smooth it and keep the texture. Plus, the joints are in the smallest places on the roof sides. Monogram made it in a single piece. Don't know why MPC couldn't. 

I cannot understand the choice, myself. It is an odd way tp mold the part. Maybe it was done to attempt to avoid warpage of the very thin parts on the bottom of the window frames.

Any way, another question?

Which Tires will it Get? The Same as the Last Bronco and the Firestones F-350, or the Desert Dogs(ex-MPC) which we Have not seen in awhile?  And Did the kit ever have any Wheel Options, or is the only choice the 'wagon wheel' style that I see on the directions?

51 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Which Tires will it Get? The Same as the Last Bronco and the Firestones F-350, or the Desert Dogs(ex-MPC) which we Have not seen in awhile?  And Did the kit ever have any Wheel Options, or is the only choice the 'wagon wheel' style that I see on the directions?

I'd prefer the old Desert Dogs too but I do have a couple sets stashed away. 

The 8 spoke wheels were a factory option that year along with the aluminum wheels in the AMT Bronco , 5 slot wheels like Ansen Sprints and a full wheel cover same as used on a lot of other Fords at the time.

The 8 spoke wheels are shown on all the trucks pictured in the brochure. And for those inclined, I don't think dog dish caps were a factory option in those years on Broncos.

Here's a link to the brochure. 

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/FMC Trucks-Vans/1980_Trucks-Vans/1980 Ford Bronco Brochure (Rev)/index1.html

Edited by Can-Con
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2022 at 6:08 PM, Plowboy said:

I may snag one for parts to convert the later model AMT F-150. 

Good thinking. Looks like they tried for a 351M/400 in this one; wonder how it compares to the '78 amt issue. Carb looks hilarious.

8 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The hubcaps were standard on the base models. 

I knew if I made any kind of statement like that it'd come back and bite me in the asp. Always does.

After doing some searching I found this pic on the Ford Canada website. I have never seen one with these caps myself though. 

1981 Ford Bronco X L T with Victoria Tu Tone

Seen plenty of them with these though,,

Ford Truck F150 F250 F350 Bronco 1979 1980 1981 - 1993 1994 Wheel Cover  Hubcap | eBay

9 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I knew if I made any kind of statement like that it'd come back and bite me in the asp. Always does.

After doing some searching I found this pic on the Ford Canada website. I have never seen one with these caps myself though. 

Ford Truck F150 F250 F350 Bronco 1979 1980 1981 - 1993 1994 Wheel Cover  Hubcap | eBay

The Bronco in this photo actually shouldn't have the hubcaps as it's an XLT. It would've had the wheel covers in your photo.

The bronze colored Bronco in Randy's post above either has the wrong grille or wrong hood. It has Ford on both. It's definitely not an original.

2 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The Bronco in this photo actually shouldn't have the hubcaps as it's an XLT. It would've had the wheel covers in your photo.

The bronze colored Bronco in Randy's post above either has the wrong grille or wrong hood. It has Ford on both. It's definitely not an original.

That's what I was thinking but you know what they say, 

Better to keep quiet and thought a fool then to open my mouth and remove all doubt. 😕

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Want these Wheels!

4 out of 5 Fords, around here back in the day had these Wheel Covers. 

2 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Want these Wheels!

4 out of 5 Fords, around here back in the day had these Wheel Covers. 

If you mean the full wheel cover, the closest I know of are the ones in this Mustang kit, but they're 4 bolt. 

If you could find a set maybe you could drill out the centers and replace them with 5 bolt centers?

Monogram's Fox Body Mustang — The Sprue

39 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

Wonder if Texas 3d Customs would be willing to offer some grille options now that it’s being reissued?

There's only two. The '80-'81 and the '82-'86. The '80-'81 grille would also need the hood with the FORD letters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

These [Fireball Resin wheel & hubcapslook pretty close, have a set on order

Perfect! I'll have to grab a set. 

I'd say that many of the 1980-1986 Bronco's I saw when they were new were shod with those (mostly the fleet vehicles for L.A. County and L.A. City).

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

If you mean the full wheel cover, the closest I know of are the ones in this Mustang kit, but they're 4 bolt. 

If you could find a set maybe you could drill out the centers and replace them with 5 bolt centers?

I have a resin set of these that are eight lug; I'll be darned if I can remember where they came from. BnL, maybe?