Model Cars Magazine Forum

From the vault V.3: MPC 1978 Chevy C10 Stepside 4x2 Street Cruiser

MPC was at their summit when it came to new kit design in the late 1970's to early 1980's.   So when they introduced their first annual kit of the 1973 and later Chevy pickup generation, I had to build it as soon as it was introduced in late 1977.  This new MPC annual kit for 1978 was the only one of this generation (the kit tool was updated every year for several following years) to be provided in the 4x2 configuration, IIRC.  

DSC 0691

While based largely on the kit, the model included a number of mods such as the big'n''bigger tires on Cragars and sidemount headers from the concurrently introduced Revell Pickup and Vans Parts Packs (anyone remember those???).   The suspension was lowered and the interior featured bucket seats, also from the Revell Parts Packs if memory serves.  The graphics and the very nice tubular grille came from the MPC annual kit, and the engine intake setup may have also been kitbashed; can't recall for sure.  Anyway, this was a really good kit from MPC and due to subsequent revisions to the kit tool, this particular kit version remains a very rare bear discovery these days.   

Thanks for looking....TIM   (PS - please excuse the ajar hood in the picture above).  

DSC 0688

DSC 0693

DSC 0695

DSC 0690

DSC 0689

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

• tim boyd changed the title to From the vault V.3: MPC 1978 Chevy C1500 Stepside 4x2 Street Cruiser

One of me personal 'Top 5' favourite kits ever! Every subsequent issue has been 4WD (like you'd stated), and those never "felt" right to me. I wonder why MPC dropped the 2WD after this annual?

I have a mint unbuilt example in me stash which I'll get to "some day".

The intake -the custom intake- in the kit is a dual four barrel tunnel ram, but I don't recall if it's the same one you'd employed on your (lovely) build. 

I certainly remember the Revell Pickup and Vans Parts Packs ! I had a few copies of each back in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice! I actually have a Revell pickup truck parts pack around here somewhere. One for vans too. I always thought it was funny that Revell used illustrations of MPC kits on their parts pack boxes. 🤣

I have a grille from this kit. Never knew where it was from until now. 

My only gripe is minor.... That's a C10. The C1500 moniker didn't come about until 1988. 😁

• tim boyd changed the title to From the vault V.3: MPC 1978 Chevy C10 Stepside 4x2 Street Cruiser
  • 2 weeks later...