Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm mostly a gear head, but I do like the old military warbirds. I've decided to take a break from the car kits and try a aviation kit. I chose this one because it seems like a simple one to start with and it was cheap. I'm waiting on some paints before I get started on it. Comments welcome.

IMGP8775.JPG

54 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I'm mostly a gear head, but I do like the old military warbirds. I've decided to take a break from the car kits and try a aviation kit. I chose this one because it seems like a simple one to start with and it was cheap. I'm waiting on some paints before I get started on it. Comments welcome.

IMGP8775.JPG

Ha, interesting choice for a first airplane model there James.  Good luck with it....are you gonna attempt the camo paint job?

28 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Ha, interesting choice for a first airplane model there James.  Good luck with it....are you gonna attempt the camo paint job?

Thanks Mike. I'm going to try it. Been watching some videos on doing the camo paint and I think I can pull it off.

8 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

I think, that is one of Airfix's newly tooled kits.

It is a great choice for a first build.

Have fun!

Thanks.

Good start so far on the Spitfire James. I know a lot of folks who build in 1/72 scale and turn out some very solid and convincing builds, For me, it's too small a scale to work with. I'm 54 years old and my eyes aint what they used to be so I work in the middle with 1/48 scale. Large enough to work with and put some good detail into and small enough to still fit into my display case. 

That Cobra kit looks sharp!! 

28 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Good start so far on the Spitfire James. I know a lot of folks who build in 1/72 scale and turn out some very solid and convincing builds, For me, it's too small a scale to work with. I'm 54 years old and my eyes aint what they used to be so I work in the middle with 1/48 scale. Large enough to work with and put some good detail into and small enough to still fit into my display case. 

That Cobra kit looks sharp!! 

Thanks Joe. I know what you mean, I'm 71 with bad eyes and shaky hands. I can see now that 1/72 scale is going to be too small for me. That helo is a really nice kit, lots of detail, I think it will be a fun build, even has a PE fret with it. It will probably be the first of Spring before I start on it. I'm still a gear head first and have a few auto kits I want to get built.

• Like 1

I hear what you're sayin' James. For the longest time, I built aircraft and after a while I wanted to get better at it and at the same time, I wanted to build a scale auto that had all the details AND the perfect shine. With all that in mind, I took a break from aircraft building and switched to autos. I've been back twice now to re-visit aircraft modeling since 2014 while learning new techniques while I was away. Aircraft building is something that I enjoy very much but like you, I'm a dang gear head so I've gotta have my auto fix. lol

Oh man!! I've been meaning to pick that 55 Chevy Bel Air kit up. Gonna have to go and get me one of those.

I've gotta tell ya on that Mustang kit. Revells version is a pretty straight forward kit but if you REALLY want to build a Mustang and it practically put itself together then you might want to spring for this one from Tamiya:

You WON'T be disappointed.

Picture 1 of 2

Edited by mustang1989

nice start !!  its always fun to take a detour for awhile building something different, keeps the building fun and refreshing

Ive been working on a couple 1/350 modern warships, and just picked up a Nimitz aircraft carrier..havent decided which wall to knock down to make space yet

On 12/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, mustang1989 said:

Lookin good!!

Thanks Joe.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:42 PM, gotnitro? said:

nice start !!  its always fun to take a detour for awhile building something different, keeps the building fun and refreshing

Ive been working on a couple 1/350 modern warships, and just picked up a Nimitz aircraft carrier..havent decided which wall to knock down to make space yet

Thanks.

• 2 months later...